Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2048 Discussions

Intel RST converted my whole 1TB HDD to a recovery disk

SBhat13
Beginner

I just purchased an Acer Predator Helios 300 with windows 10. After starting the laptop, I have set up the windows 10.

As soon as that process was over and the desktop screen appeared, Inter Rapid Storage Technology asked me to create a recovery drive, I clicked on yes, create one. But that software has converted my whole 1 TB hard disk to a recovery drive, and I'm unable to change its type. Windows is installed in another 128 GB SSD. I have checked all other solutions from the discussions similar to my problem, but nothing worked.

I checked from the BIOS, the HDD is there, working fine, but I cannot see it in the My Computer, nor in the disk management.

Then I started a memory diagnostic test, which didn't give any result. Then I tried the following :

didn't help much...

And I know it's still there because I can see it in Intel's RST software:

I also looked for the solution in the INTEL's RST guide, but couldn't find any...

I want my whole 1 TB drive as a normal storage drive, does not need any recovery drive.

Please help me

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello satvik,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

Please try these steps:

-At POST, use CTRL-I to enter the RST BIOS Extension.

-Mark the drive as "Non-RAID".

-Reboot your system.

Keep in mind the following information:

-Back up your data if needed.

-You may need to contact your system manufacturer if you are not able to go into the BIOS settings using this command.

Please let me know of the outcome.

Wanner G.

View solution in original post

16 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello satvik,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

Please try these steps:

-At POST, use CTRL-I to enter the RST BIOS Extension.

-Mark the drive as "Non-RAID".

-Reboot your system.

Keep in mind the following information:

-Back up your data if needed.

-You may need to contact your system manufacturer if you are not able to go into the BIOS settings using this command.

Please let me know of the outcome.

Wanner G.
idata
Employee

Hello satvik,

Were you able to resolve the issue?

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
SBhat13
Beginner

Yes, that solved the issue. Thank you so much.

0 Kudos
Vivekshetty
Beginner
Hii , this us Vivek. I too have the same issue with the same laptop can I know how you solved it and how did you got into (ctlr-I)bios for Acer predator Helios 300. Please let me know if you know how to solve it.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If you are using UEFI boot, then CTRL-I can't be used. Instead, the RAID configuration should be exposed somewhere in the motherboard's BIOS Setup program.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Vivekshetty
Beginner
Hi @n_scott_pearson, sorry I didn't get you. Actually I'm new to all these I can't understand all these technical stuff. Will too please help me out by step by step process. If you know how to solve the issue.
Thank you for your response
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Sorry, but I can't do that. BIOS Setup is presented in different ways by different vendors and often is different between motherboard models. I can't give you steps for BIOS Setup sequences that I have never seen.

Here's what I can say:

1. You need to determine whether UEFI boot is enabled or not. If it is not, you get to the RST setup by using CTRL-I during BIOS POST (when splash screen appears). If it is, then somewhere in BIOS Setup is a screen that supports the configuration.
  2. Once you are in the right place, you want to remove both drives from the RAID array.
  3. Reboot from there and see if your SSD is still bootable. If it is, then you just need to repartition and reformat the HDD. If it is not, then you are going to have to reinstall Windows on your SSD and then repartition and reformat the HDD.

That's it,

...S

0 Kudos
Vivekshetty
Beginner
Ohhh ok I got it. I'll try and see . Thank you so much Scott.
0 Kudos
FFerr7
Beginner

Hi. I have the same problem here but I cant access the ctrl+I during boot there is no prompt. I have Acer Predator Helios 300. Please help me there is no option to delete Recovery Volume.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello FrancisFerrer,

Thank you for contacting us; it will be more than a pleasure to guide you.

In this case, as shared before, in order to get the issue fixed without losing any data (since the system created a recovery partition), you will need to reset your drives to Non-Raid .

You will need to enter RAID BIOS to reset the driver, you may need to check with your computer manufacturer and look for instructions on this matter since most of the Acer* computers on the market are locked for this feature.

Here's Acer's* support link:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
FFerr7
Beginner

I just want to ask if the developers are making a way in future updates to disable this volume creation thing. It is weird that you can easily make it but very very hard to undo. It feels like a trap for new laptop owners. If they are making a way in future updates I might as well wait for it rather than opening my laptop and risking it from any defects.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello FrancisFerrer

Thank you for your response.

We totally understand your feedback.

I will send a report about your feedback to the team in charge so they can review it, even if we do not have any estimated time of response from them, I will make sure that your ticket will be reviewed and considered on future updates of the software.

At the moment our best recommendation at the moment is to contact your OEM so they can provide you with further assistance on this matter.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello FrancisFerrer,

We just wanted to double check if you still need further assistance.

Please do not hesitate on contacting us back.

Were you able to contact your OEM?

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
ZHeng2
Beginner

Hi, I am facing the same problem as well.

I did contact Acer support but receive no reply.

0 Kudos
cmans4
Beginner

I have the same problem as well. And I fully agree with FranciFerer comment regarding a trap for new laptop owner. This shouldn't be the case especially for someone not technical.

0 Kudos
MFulf
Beginner

Hallo

I have the same Problem and I don't know how can I reach post

Could you please help me .
0 Kudos