Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Intel RST on Surface Studio - 128gb SSD all used as cache when shipped - now it won't let me use more than 64gb

idata
Employee

On the Surface Studio that I received recently, the Intel RST is configured to use the full 128GB SSD as cache. See the following -

Unfortunately, when I disabled the cache drive and tried to re-enable it, it would not let me use the full SSD as cache drive (only up to 64GB)

Now I can only use half of my SSD as cache (see below) - this makes me nuts!

Please, Intel or Microsoft, I was really upset with this, I really need my system back into default to use the full 128 GB SSD as cache, like when it was shipped. Also, Intel should release the RST software update ASAP (whatever they have done with Microsoft in secret to enable 128GB caching).

(Sorry I was just upset because half of my SSD caching was gone and Intel definitely has the technology ready but the software simply artificially caps the caching limit to 64GB!)

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for letting me know about this issue.

I was aware that the Intel® Smart cache technology will handle up to 64Gb of SSD space after caching the drive, no matter the size of the SSD.

This will be minimum and maximum. Please check the file attached.

Allan.

0 Kudos
bhaue1
Beginner

Can you repost these images? I'm trying to figure out if my hybrid drive is using the cache at all, not sure how to check

0 Kudos