Intel® RST, RAID
2046 Discussions

Intel Rapid Storage Keeps Removing Brand New SSD

Ray767
Beginner

Hi

Current System:

Dell XPS8700

1 x mSATA 250gb Containing C Drive (almost Full)
3 x SATA 3 Hard Drives
All working perfectly

I bought a brand new Samsung SATA3 1tb SSD (EVO860).

I replaced one of the existing hard drives with the new SATA

I formatted the new SATA through windows Computer Management set as simple storage and as GPT disk and one partition.

I rebooted and it worked fine for a day then suddenly RST said it was disconnecting the drive. However it showed up normally on Computer Management

Rebooted and it was there and again whilst working on the pc fopr about half an hour RST came up again and said it was disconnecting.

The drive is new so its not the drive failing, however I carried out some tests on all the system (Dell built in stress testing app for hardware) and all was fine. I checked connections to the SSD and all was fine.

Rebooted and same thing happens -RST  disconnected the SSD

I then took out the new SSD and re-installed the old hard drive. This worked perfectly no issues.

I deleted the RST driver and program in device manager and unistalled the app. I downloaded the app from Intel (Ckecked the version - and the lastest version was the same as the one that I uninstalled. I did notice that Intel mentioned that it had reached "end of life". Re installed the new SSD and RST randomly continued to remove the SSD drive.

Can anyone suggest a solution ? I could remove RST completely, but what driver would I need to install ? Would I need to install the Samsung Driver - although I am advised that this is not necessary ?

Hope someone can help ?

Thanks

Ray

0 Kudos
13 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Ray767

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. In order to check this further, could you please confirm the following information?

1- What is the model of the other drives that work fine?

2- What is the "use case" or goal for running Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) on the system? Do you have any RAID array set? If yes, what is the RAID type/level and what disks are part of it? Please provide details.

3- Intel® RST driver/software version:

4- Operating system version and its build number:

5- Based on DELL* XPS 8700 Documentation*, this computer comes with an Intel® Z87 Chipset. Is this correct? If not, please confirm the chipset model of the system.

6- Besides seeing the "SSD disconnection notification", is this causing any other issue/behavior.

7- Could you please provide some pictures showing the status of the drives on the Intel® RST software? For instance, if you are running Optane™ Memory and Storage Management, you can go to Manage > Status.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
Ray767
Beginner

Thanks Andrew

I will get back to you with theinformation

Thanks

0 Kudos
Ray767
Beginner

Hi Andrew

Since the last message, my system became unstable and I had to disconnect the new SSD and refresh win 10 which is the option to reinstall but keep existing programs.

I also deleted the Intel Driver and re installed the latest RST program. The latest version for my system is 14.5.0.1081 - which is the same that was originally installed. I did notice that this version is no longer supported as end of life.

I have not connected the new SSD and everything has been working OK since. I did notice that while I ran the install for the RST it did not install the driver. I also ran the dell and windows updates and it was not installed by either of them. I have seen no deterioration in performance without the RST driver.

In answer to your questions - I have attached 2 reports providing the detailed system hardware and a picture as requested.

I do not have any RAID storage

Having read the other posts I have returned the SAMSUNG SSD for credit - just in case it was corrupt or damaged in some way. But I still need to replace one of the Drives with an SSD.

If you need any further information, please let me know ?

Thanks

Ray

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Ray767

Thank you for all the information provided.

We would like you to confirm/clarify the following information in order to check this further.

1- When you said, "I have not connected the new SSD and everything has been working OK since". Do you mean you have a new/replacement SSD disk for the Samsung SATA3 1TB SSD EVO860 (the one that was having this behavior) or do you still have the same SSD disk? Please provide details.

(Note: If you have a new/replacement SSD disk, please provide the brand and model)

2- Please elaborate more on what you mean when you said "I ran the install for the RST it did not install the driver". How are you running the Intel® RST installer?

3- Please generate a System Report for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology following the steps in the link and provide us with the report.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Ray767
Beginner

1. OK yes apologies if I have confused.
I have returned the new Samsung SSD SATA 1TB EV860 just in case it was faulty.
I ran the pc the with all 4 disk drives which I was doing prior to the problem - no errors at all.
I then ordered a replacement SSD - this time an SATA SSD 870 EVO.
I then moved the OS to the new SSD with the Samsung Data Migration tool downloaded from the Samsung Website.

I have been using this now for a few days without any problem - until today when Intel Iastor disconnected my DATA drive which is a standard drive not an SSD drive. I rebooted and it showed up again but then disconnected after a few seconds.

2. There was an Intel driver showing up in Device Manager either under Storage Controllers or the IDE ATA / ATAPI controllers - I am sorry I cannot remember which it was. But I deleted the Intel Driver as a last resort to try and rectify the problem. (subsequent to this I reinstalled windows with the option to keep programs and files). I reinstalled the Intel RST package by downloading the current version for my system and installing. I think I mentioned that this version is not now supported as its at end of life - the newest version I understand is not compatible with my system ?) Upon downloading and running the Intel app the Driver did not show up anywhere in device manager.
The intel RST (which includes Iastor I assume) is running on my pc.

System report attached

Thanks very much

Regards

Ray

0 Kudos
Ray767
Beginner

Hi Andrew

Following on from above message just posted, I have just rebooted - the disconnected drive now shows up again and I have attached another report just generated - which shows port 4 now with connected drive ?

I hope this helps

Thanks

Ray

0 Kudos
Ray767
Beginner

Ooops forgot to attach the new report

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Ray767

Thank you for all the details and reports provided.

Please allow us to check this further and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as more details are available.

Note: You are correct, for Intel® Z87 Chipset, the latest Intel® RST driver supporting this chipset is version 14.x as per Readme.txt file information.  

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Ray767
Beginner

Hi Andrew

I have carried out some more tests. I tried switching the drive ports and it appears that its one particular port that has the problem. (port4)

I have a free unused port (although not identified by RST)

This is port 2 on the board which I assume should be used for another CD Drive (port 1 is the existing CD/DVD drive).

I have disconnected port 4 so nothing attached on this one and now using port 2.

So far for the last few days there has not been any issues. I cannot think what the problem is with port 4 as there has been a drive attached to it from new and no problem until I decided to install the new SSD. Perhaps some dirt or it was not connected properly - although this was checked ? It would be interesting to know if it was a power or data issue that triggered RST to disconnect the drive on that port ?

I will keep this open for another week and see what happens and I will come back and update.

Thanks

Ray

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Ray767

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After checking this further, one possibility was a compatibility issue with the old Intel® RST software and the new SSD drives that you are using. If all your drives are working fine and showing up on Windows then there is nothing to worry about. However, if it gets disconnected from Windows® then it could be an issue with the port or the controller. Based on the additional tests you performed, the latter since to be the issue here (motherboard port issue). Feel free to post any new outcome about this behavior.

We encourage you to use drives confirmed to be compatible with your system and checking further with your computer manufacturer (OEM) regarding any possible issue with the port. Here is the link to Dell Support.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Ray767
Beginner
Hi Andrew
Thanks very much for your comments, it does look to be a port problem as since changing to another port all is now working properly. I don’t actually need the extra port so will leave as is. I don’t think Dell will be that interested now that it’s out of warranty.
So please treat this query as solved
Thanks
Ray
0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello Ray767,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Please let me know if you need further assistance.  

Best regards,

Victor G. 

Intel Technical Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Ray767

Thank you very much for your response. We are glad to know that this is working properly using another port. Also, since you confirmed we can consider this query as solved, we will proceed to close it now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos