Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Rebuilds Wrong RAID 1 Volume

MMast
Beginner

Hi.

I am running Intel Rapid Storage Technology version 11.2.0.1006 under Windows 7 Pro x64.

I have the following defined:

Array_0000

RAID 1 Volume named System, degraded due to missing drive

1TB Drive (present)

1TB Drive (missing)

Array_0001

RAID 1 Volume named Media, degraded due to missing drive

2TB Drive (present)

2TB Drive (missing)

When I insert the missing 2TB drive IRST immediately assigns it to the volume named System in Array_0000 and begins rebuilding the volume. I wanted the drive to be assigned to the volume named Media in Array_0001, but I never am given a chance to do this.

How can I tell IRST to which volume a newly inserted drive is to be assigned?

Thanks,

Mike.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello mbmast,

I understand the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology is automatically assigning the new drive to the RAID Array_0000 instead of the Array_0001.

This is an expected behavior since the software does not have the option yet to select what array do you want to fix. Since you have two arrays, the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology automatically will start rebuilding the first one.

Since you have RAID 1 configured in your system, the best and easiest option is to Access CTRL+I and set the Disks from array_0001 to non RAID. When you do this, the Option ROM will display a generic alert that says "All information will be lost"; however, this does not apply for RAID 1.

So by setting up the Disks from Array_0001 to non RAID disk, you will keep all the information in the HDD. Once done this, you may access the operating system and open the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology and from the Create tab you have the possibility to create a RAID from the selected disk and you also will have the chance to select the new disk and create the RAID Array from there.

You can get the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology user guide at the following link:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-020670.htm http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-020670.htm

Thanks.
0 Kudos