Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2046 Discussions

Intel Rapid Storage Technology SATA available Disk removed

rogon
Beginner

My case is similar to the ones in

https://community.intel.com/t5/Rapid-Storage-Technology/SATA-available-disk-Removed/td-p/726107

https://community.intel.com/t5/Rapid-Storage-Technology/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-SATA-Disk-removed/td-p/682130

This error keeps repeating for me when starting my computer, I can access the D drive (1tb HDD for data storage) for a few minutes but then it gets removed. While I can access the drive everything is normal, the Windows disc management shows a healthy D drive and RST also shows it under "Manage". The Optane Memory tab does not exist in my RST.

After it gets removed, the drive does not show up anywhere anymore, but after a while it occasionally gets detected and works normal again, also just for a short time. After being removed I just get shown an empty port 0 and nothing is detected in Windows either. When I restart my laptop the drive is sometimes also not detected after starting so it seems like there needs to be some idle time for it to be found again.
The error first occured while I moved some files from D to an external drive but can also happen when I'm not using it actively.

Attached is my system report (after removal), if you need more information let me know.

I would apprechiate any help with this!

Edit: Added System Report with drive D connected

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User
This is typically an indication that the drive is failing. I would back up the data on this drive ASAP as you may lose all access to it shortly.
...S
0 Kudos
rogon
Beginner

Thank you for the answer,
I have backups of the drive, but with the current access it's difficult to do a complete backup again.

Also I can't find where to turn off RST on my laptop, wanted to check if that changes anything.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It will be on BIOS Setup. But, don't turn it off. If you installed Windows with RST enabled, then disabling it will cause BSOD (or not find the boot drive). Similarly, if you installed Windows with RST disabled, then enabling it will cause BSOD. I have heard it said that there are tricks that can be pulled to get around this, but only for the case where you want to disable RST - and it is something you do BEFORE disabling RST. Unfortunately, I do not have the details (if someone else does, please speak up).

...S

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello rogon, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

I would like to further investigate this for you.

We will do research and update the thread as soon as possible.

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician   

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello rogon, 

We would like to provide an update on the thread.

Based on the behavior, this seems to be more like an HDD detection issue with the SATA port. The message that you are getting does not seem to be an IRST issue, this could be a BIOS message.

If changing SATA modes to disable RAID, this will damage the boot sector of the driver, meaning the booting files.

It is required the reinstallation of the operating system every time that a change is made on the SATA mode.

I would recommend checking with the manufacturer of the computer for a possible SATA port issue.

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello rogon,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let me know if you need more assistance.  

Esteban D. 

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello rogon,  

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please feel free to post a new question.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M.  

Intel Customer Support Technician.  

0 Kudos