I have the following setup:
- SUPERMICRO MBD-X7SPA-H-O Mini ITX board which has 6 SATA ports running off an Intel ICH9R.
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Standard.
- Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) v. 10.1.0.1008
- One WD 2.5" drive on port 0
- One ODD on port 1
- Three Samsung HD204UI internal drives in RAID5 (ports 2-4).
- Port 5 is empty
I have the following issues:
1. In IRST ports 4 and 5 show as EXTERNAL, when they definitely are INTERNAL.
2. Almost every time I reboot this machine IRST starts a 7 hr rebuild of the RAID5 array!
I'm thinking the two issues are related and need a way to fix ports 4 & 5 so they are read as internal. I tried the information found in http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463521.aspx http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463521.aspx but it had no effect.
Sounds like a variant of a problem I have encountered in which IRST 1.1.2 repeatedly does "Verify and Repair". I can resolve the problem by opening IRST and cancelling the R&V. IRST then shows the RAID array functioning normally. That might break the cycle for you.