Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
1700 Discussions

Intel Rapid Storage Technology rebuilds RAID5 on almost every reboot!

idata
Community Manager

I have the following setup:

• SUPERMICRO MBD-X7SPA-H-O Mini ITX board which has 6 SATA ports running off an Intel ICH9R.

• Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Standard.

• Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) v. 10.1.0.1008

• One WD 2.5" drive on port 0

• One ODD on port 1

• Three Samsung HD204UI internal drives in RAID5 (ports 2-4).

• Port 5 is empty

I have the following issues:

1. In IRST ports 4 and 5 show as EXTERNAL, when they definitely are INTERNAL.

2. Almost every time I reboot this machine IRST starts a 7 hr rebuild of the RAID5 array!

I'm thinking the two issues are related and need a way to fix ports 4 & 5 so they are read as internal. I tried the information found in http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463521.aspx http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463521.aspx but it had no effect.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Community Manager

The ports in the BIOS are all configured as RAID. So the Intel driver is at fault here I think. It should not be listing ports 4 & 5 as removable.

idata
Community Manager

Anyone from Intel (or otherwise) who can offer some help?

idata
Community Manager

Sounds like a variant of a problem I have encountered in which IRST 1.1.2 repeatedly does "Verify and Repair". I can resolve the problem by opening IRST and cancelling the R&V. IRST then shows the RAID array functioning normally. That might break the cycle for you.

idata
Community Manager

The problem disappeared on my system when I installed 10.6.0.1002. Not only that but the rebuilds are much, much faster when needed. Hope it works for you too. --rbl--