Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Is Smart Response technology supported in Z370 motherboards LGA 1151

Isfakur
Beginner

I want to use an SSD to cache my secondary 4TB HDD. My motherboard has Z370 chipset. Is Smart Response technology supported in my motherboard?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No. Intel SRT support was removed when Intel Optane Memory support was added.

I guess they didn't want the performance of Intel SRT showing up their Optane performance...

...S

0 Kudos
Isfakur
Beginner

Thanks Scott, that means Intel Optane is the only way to go. No choices left. But these are restricted to 64 GB (128 GB one is way out of budget) Should 16 GB be sufficient for playing one game (100 GB AAA game) at a time with no other applications open? Which app and driver to use for enabling Optane acceleration.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yea, but I personally don't think Optane makes sense for the Windows system drive -- not when there are NVMe SSDs that run at speeds of 3500/3000 available at costs often below that for Optane. I have a 512GB ADATA/XPG SX8200 Pro that costs me only US$70 and gets me 3000/2550 performance (it is supposed to get me 3350/2350, go figure).

If you have two M.2 Type M slots, you could consider using an Optane module to accelerate a SATA-based Data HDD. But, there are alternatives. A 2TB 2.5" Seagate Barracuda HDD costs US$79. A 2TB 2.5" Seagate Firecuda SSHD, with flash-based caching built in, costs US$127 (before Trump's useless tariffs, I purchased a bunch of these for US$92, grrrr). Yea, these aren't anywhere near as fast as Optane, but if I only have one M.2 slot, well, they're the perfect complement to my super-fast NVMe SSD...

...S

0 Kudos