Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Latest iRST service (17.8.0.1065) refuses to load on startup. Win10 Pro 64-bit.

dmuso1
Beginner

Hi:

The latest iRST driver service v17.8.0.1065 refuses to start up on bootup but the former service v17.7.0.1006 does. v17.8 refuses to start manually or automatically. How can this be fixed?

Though v17.7 starts ok, its unstable in my RAID system when performing disk repair operations. See my earlier post 3 months ago "iRST driver (17.7.0.1006) unstable ... BSOD caused by iaStorAC.sys?" around January 5th, 2020. Windows and System support files attached...

Thanks!

David

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AdrianM_Intel

Hello dmuso1,

Thank you for your reply.

The version 15.2.0.1020 which is provided by the system manufacturer should be a customized one since the download is on their official website, since intel recommends that end-users utilize driver updates provided by their system manufacturer/provider or via Windows Update to eliminate the potential impact caused by loading non-customized drivers, OEM customizes Intel, generic drivers, to meet the needs of their specific system design. In such cases, use of the Intel generic driver update is not recommended.

I understand that the version is not the latest one and you would like to use the generic version however if you are facing issues with the latest generic version this could be related to customization on your system, so test the version provided by the system manufacturer and let us know the result.

As well, you can ask MSI* to release a newer customized Intel® Rapid Storage Technology driver for your system.

Regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AdrianM_Intel

Hello dmuso1,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

Based on the driver provided 17.8.0.1065 which is a generic driver version, Intel recommends that end-users utilize driver updates provided by their system manufacturer/provider or via Windows Update to eliminate the potential impact caused by loading non-customized drivers. System manufacturers regularly customize Intel generic drivers to meet the needs of their specific system design

My recommendation will be to try with the latest customized driver for your system MSI* WT72 6QL 15.2.0.1020 and test the behavior. 

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
dmuso1
Beginner

Adrian:

Version 15.2.0.1020 is another generic intel driver, not a customized version from MSI. I would like to take advantage of all the latest features and bug fixes of the newer drivers. I have successfully used all 16.x drivers and 17.x drivers ever since and it wasn't until v17.7.0.1006 that issues appeared. Now the latest v17.8 cured v17.7 problems but now the service refuses to start.

One thing I've noticed is that these newer drivers assume the user has Optane memory, which I don't have in my system. Could that be a problem? Anyways, what makes a service not to start on bootup? i.e. it starts, then stops within 2-3 seconds.

David M

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello dmuso1,

Thank you for your reply.

The version 15.2.0.1020 which is provided by the system manufacturer should be a customized one since the download is on their official website, since intel recommends that end-users utilize driver updates provided by their system manufacturer/provider or via Windows Update to eliminate the potential impact caused by loading non-customized drivers, OEM customizes Intel, generic drivers, to meet the needs of their specific system design. In such cases, use of the Intel generic driver update is not recommended.

I understand that the version is not the latest one and you would like to use the generic version however if you are facing issues with the latest generic version this could be related to customization on your system, so test the version provided by the system manufacturer and let us know the result.

As well, you can ask MSI* to release a newer customized Intel® Rapid Storage Technology driver for your system.

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
dmuso1
Beginner

Ok, thank you.

0 Kudos