Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2054 Discussions

My Email Notification works. I got the Test Email. When I do make a check, RST always remarks one of my SSD as bad. And I don´t get any email. Why it doesn´t warn me? When I mark tha new Samsung Pro SSD as normal it works again until the next check

JHöpt
Beginner

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

JHöpt, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the motherboard?

What is the model of the SSD?

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it?

Is this a new computer?

Was it working fine before?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

Which Intel® Rapid Storage Technology version are you using?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Just in case, even though you probably know the following information, just in case, in the picture below you will find the steps to configure the notification e-mail for the Intel® RST:

Intel® RST email notifications.png

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
JHöpt
Beginner
Hi Alberto, Thank you for your response. It´s a DELL Poweredge T20 with Intel C226 Chipset and Windows Server 2012 R2. Generally it works fine with 2 Samsung Pro SSD as RAID 1 and one additional 2TB WD Backup-Drive. I have two problems: Normally it looks like this: [cid:image005.png@01D592FB.343590F0] All drives seem to be okay: [cid:image007.png@01D592FB.343590F0] But if I do make a check….: [cid:image009.png@01D592FB.343590F0] …one SSD will always sorted out and marked as bad. Okay I could change that drive but the biggest Problem is, that RST will not warn me!! My Email Config works – I got a Test-Mail. But not more. My Drivers: [cid:image010.png@01D592FB.343590F0] Warm regards from Germany! Jens Mit freundlichen Grüßen Jens Höptner ü SAVE PAPER - THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT [cid:828165717@21122010-211B] Mühlenstraße 34 18119 Warnemünde Tel. 0381 51561 / 0170 4750306 Fax. 0381 5190021 Email : info@haitech-warnemuende.de<mailto:info@haitech-warnemuende.de> Amtsgericht Rostock / USt-IdNr. : DE164778449 Geschäftsführung: Dipl.-Ing. Jens Höptner Dipl. Inf. Dagmar Höptner Dipl.-Ing. Torsten Wilms
0 Kudos
JHöpt
Beginner
…I forgot: Is there a folder , where RST save any Log-File? Mit freundlichen Grüßen Jens Höptner ü SAVE PAPER - THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT [cid:828165717@21122010-211B] Mühlenstraße 34 18119 Warnemünde Tel. 0381 51561 / 0170 4750306 Fax. 0381 5190021 Email : info@haitech-warnemuende.de<mailto:info@haitech-warnemuende.de> Amtsgericht Rostock / USt-IdNr. : DE164778449 Geschäftsführung: Dipl.-Ing. Jens Höptner Dipl. Inf. Dagmar Höptner Dipl.-Ing. Torsten Wilms
0 Kudos
JHöpt
Beginner
Hi Alberto, I made a check in the morning and again the 2nd SSD was marked das bad. I changed it into another Samsung 860 Pro with the same Firmware Level and started a Rebuild. It worked perfect –like before the other SSD – BUT after another RAID-Check that new SSD was again marked as bad … [cid:image001.png@01D5931A.8BC5B380] Mit freundlichen Grüßen Jens Höptner ü SAVE PAPER - THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT [cid:828165717@21122010-211B] Mühlenstraße 34 18119 Warnemünde Tel. 0381 51561 / 0170 4750306 Fax. 0381 5190021 Email : info@haitech-warnemuende.de<mailto:info@haitech-warnemuende.de> Amtsgericht Rostock / USt-IdNr. : DE164778449 Geschäftsführung: Dipl.-Ing. Jens Höptner Dipl. Inf. Dagmar Höptner Dipl.-Ing. Torsten Wilms
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi JHöpt, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information.

Just to make sure:

The RAID configuration on your laptop and the SSDs in it, did they came pre-install by the manufacturer of the laptop of they were additions that you make to the computer?

You mentioned that you replace the Samsung 860 Pro SSD, just to confirm, did you check or run a diagnostic tool on the SSD perhaps provided by Samsung to make sure that it was actually defective?

Are you sure the Samsung 860 Pro is fully compatible with your laptop?

Do you have the option to maybe swap SSDs and test the SSD that is working properly on the other slot that reports the SSD as defective?

Additionally, in reference to the Intel® RST application not warning you about the status of the disk, just to let you know, that feature is dependent on Microsoft* support and due to some of the security features in Windows 10*, this feature may not work.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
JHöpt
Beginner
Hi Alberto, DELL Poweredge T20 is not a Laptop – it´s a server. Yes – I´ve checked the (exchanged – 6 times marked as bad before – each time after a RST RAID-Check.) SSD with Samsung Magician and Crystal Diskinfo. No errors at all. The new SSD work well – RAID rebuilt without problems. After the RST RAID check it was marked as bad too… And I got no Email by RST! Test- email worked. I get lots of RST-Email by lots of my servers – there are only 2 who don´t send emails. Both servers send all other Monitoring Logs – only the RST-Mail doesn´t work. Testemails are okay – why should I blame MS? I trusted all these years Intel RST / Matrix Storage– I need that RAID feature. The problems began when I started to use SSDs. If we don´t find the reason, I´ve to change a lot of my servers. Without Email monitoring I can´t trust them. Is there a folder where RST stores RAID-Log-Files? Regards Jens Mit freundlichen Grüßen Jens Höptner ü SAVE PAPER - THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT [cid:828165717@21122010-211B] Mühlenstraße 34 18119 Warnemünde Tel. 0381 51561 / 0170 4750306 Fax. 0381 5190021 Email : info@haitech-warnemuende.de<mailto:info@haitech-warnemuende.de> Amtsgericht Rostock / USt-IdNr. : DE164778449 Geschäftsführung: Dipl.-Ing. Jens Höptner Dipl. Inf. Dagmar Höptner Dipl.-Ing. Torsten Wilms
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi JHöpt, Thank you very much for clarifying that information and for sharing those details.

There are some aspects that we need to verify about your system so we can further and better assist you, please provide the SSU file and the RAID report:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Additionally, could you please provide also a screen-shot of the Intel® RST Option Room so we can check some details about the RAID configuration, to access the Intel® RST Option Room press "Ctrl + i" before the system boots to Windows*.

The shortcut to access the Intel® RST Option Room might be different in your server environment, if that is the case, please get in contact directly with Dell for them to confirm that:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04

In reference to your question about the RAID-Log-Files, you should be able to find them in the Intel® RST installation folder.

To attach the report, once you choose "reply" select the "clip" icon on the lower left corner.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
JHöpt
Beginner
Hi Alberto, You can find both things in the attachment. In my opinion it´s an non modified – Original- Intel RST ROM . There are some of my RST Servers which all send only Test-Emails (so Email notificationworks!). What I need is a scheduled RAID check every week with an Email-Logfile afterwards. The biggest problem is, that RST doesn´t do anything when a RAID1-HDD / -SSD fails. In this special case (DELL PowerEdge T20 server) 3x –after a RAID1-check – a new Samsung 860 Pro SSD was marked as bad. None of these new SSDs had any problems (Samsung Magician). After “mark as normal” + RAID1-Rebuilt these SSD work quite normal – until the next RAID1-check…. Regards Jens Mit freundlichen Grüßen Jens Höptner ü SAVE PAPER - THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT [cid:828165717@21122010-211B] Mühlenstraße 34 18119 Warnemünde Tel. 0381 51561 / 0170 4750306 Fax. 0381 5190021 Email : info@haitech-warnemuende.de<mailto:info@haitech-warnemuende.de> Amtsgericht Rostock / USt-IdNr. : DE164778449 Geschäftsführung: Dipl.-Ing. Jens Höptner Dipl. Inf. Dagmar Höptner Dipl.-Ing. Torsten Wilms
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi JHöpt, Thank you very much for providing those details.

You mentioned that there are Intel® RST Serves that are working properly, what is the model of those Servers?

The reason why we want to confirm that information is because normally when working in a server environment the application version that is used is the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise, which is different from the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology and it includes different features and functionalities, that might be the reason why the Intel® RST application works with the other Server systems that might be using the Enterprise version.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
JHöpt
Beginner
Hi Alberto, mostly I´m using DELL Poweredge Servers…. Instead of giving me answers you always ask question. I sent you pics , information, logs and screenshots. I explained my problems several times. You gave me no answers at all. I can´t use Intel RST products without monitoring and Email alert. I can´t trust your products when it don´t warn me when a SSD / HDD fails. I will describe my problems now in our German Administrator-Forums to find out , what other RST-users do. I´m really disappointed. Mit freundlichen Grüßen Jens Höptner ü SAVE PAPER - THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT [cid:828165717@21122010-211B] Mühlenstraße 34 18119 Warnemünde Tel. 0381 51561 / 0170 4750306 Fax. 0381 5190021 Email : info@haitech-warnemuende.de<mailto:info@haitech-warnemuende.de> Amtsgericht Rostock / USt-IdNr. : DE164778449 Geschäftsführung: Dipl.-Ing. Jens Höptner Dipl. Inf. Dagmar Höptner Dipl.-Ing. Torsten Wilms Nicht von einem iPhone gesendet… Kind Regards to the NSA…
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi JHöpt, Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

We apologize for any inconvenience, we just wanted to make sure about the different details, components and the environment where your platform is working.

In reference to the situation about the Intel® RST not sending notification alert emails, is because that feature was validated on 13.5 and later kept available for 13.5 and later, but the feature is dependent on Microsoft support and due to some of the security features in Windows* it may not work on systems running different Windows* versions, like in this case Windows* Server 2012, it is related to Microsoft and Intel do not validate this feature anymore on recent drivers.

Since the feature is dependent on Microsoft support, to get in contact with Microsoft directly will be another option to try, they should be able to provide more insights in regard to the security features that Windows* has and if there is a way to make it work as you expected:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos