Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

My PC received a notification saying that IRST had to act on something and I clicked "Ok" and now I can't find my D drive in This PC.I don't mind if the data is not recovered but I want the 1TB HDD working.It says Type:Recovery in Intel RST

DBhat14
Beginner

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This was just an offer that RST presented to you, not something you needed to act on. So many people have made this mistake and screwed up their drives and lost their data. Intel really need to fix this so it doesn't happen so easily. INTEL CUSTOMER SUPPORT: PLEASE TAKE THIS ISSUE BACK TO THE RST TEAM!

Ok, that said, it is good thing that you don't mind - because the data cannot be recovered. Part of the HDD has been overwritten by the backup of the contents of your SSD. Essentially, what you have done is created a RAID array that contains your SSD and HDD. You need to remove these drives from the array and make them individually accessible again. You should be able to do this from the Manage tab in the RST utility. This will hopefully not wipe out the contents of your SSD.

The other thing I noticed is that your HDD is reporting a S.M.A.R.T. issue. These issues are essentially the drive predicting its own failure. This may be a false-flag caused by the RAID operation. After you get rid of the RAID array, you should check this drive and, if it is continuing to report this prediction, you will need to replace this HDD.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
DBhat14
Beginner

Could you please elaborate on how it's done?Thanks!

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You do this from the RST OpROM-based utility. If you have a modern UEFI-based system, then this utility will be exposed somewhere within the BIOS Setup screens. If this is an older system, when you enter this utility by pressing CTRL-I during BIOS POST (i.e. when the BIOS displays its splash screen; you may have to press CTRL-I a couple of times to get it to take). Within the utility, you want to make the drives non-RAID drives. This will eliminate the RAID array and you should see both your HDD and SSD when you exit and boot into Windows.

Note, I am being somewhat vague in this description because the various motherboard vendors will expose the utility differently and I do not know what you have.

...S

0 Kudos
DBhat14
Beginner
0 Kudos