Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

NVMe SSD show up but not able to use it to accelerate disk

Disturbed
Beginner

I just upgraded to X299X DESIGNARE 10G board and bought a new NVMe drive.

Before pulling the drives and replacing the motherboard I disabled hardware acceleration via a SATA SSD. I have two 6TB spinning disk drives in a Mirror.

I am now up and running on the new motherboard with all drivers updated. I am running Driver 18.30.1.1138 with and have the Intel Optane memory and storage management application installed.

The problem is that I am not getting the option to accelerate my disk the the new NVMe.
I have initialized the NVME with gpt and it is 512GB in size with no partitions allocated
The mirror has 300MB of unallocated space at the end.
I have the NVMe allocated in the bios to RST and the disk shows up in the list.

I have re installed the app like 3 times.
I have adjusted the space at the end of the mirror 3 times (always leaving greater than 250MB)

It is very frustrating to trying to figure out what part of the combination is missing to get the performance tab to show the acceleration option.

I am trying to figure out what requirement is missing to see the acceleration option in the performance tab.

From a user interface perspective I really wish they could grey out interfaces were requirements have not been met and actually list what requirements exist and which ones are not met.

I don't want to buy optane memory because frankly it is not as fast as other NVMe's. What i really want to do is VROC some small but fast NVMes on the PCIE16x slot and use them as read cache for my mirror raid but at this point i cannot get the NVMe to accelerate let alone try for that.

I would greatly appreciate it if anybody can help me identify what I am missing to get the acceleration option to appear?

I could not find the help option in the new storage software that we referenced in other posts to include in troubleshooting but attached you will find my system info from the Intel tool.

windows 10 19042.630

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Disturbed

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities and for your feedback, it is really appreciated.

The Intel® Optane™ Memory User Interface and Driver 18.30.1.1138 does not support Intel® Smart Response Technology.

Beginning with Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) version 16.0 the acceleration of RAID volumes or other multiple disk configurations is not supported.

Intel® RST version 15.9 still supports this type of acceleration so you may try to downgrade to that version.

We tried to search on the GIGABYTE® website for a customized driver of version 15.9 but we couldn't find any. Since the driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer we recommend you work with your computer manufacturer before installing our driver so you don’t lose features or customizations. In this case, the recommendation is to contact your motherboard manufacturer (OEM) to get a customized driver of version 15.9.

In case they are not able to provide a customized driver version 15.9, you may try our generic driver by downloading it from this link: Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) User Interface and Driver Version: 15.9.8.1050

Please remember to back up all your data before attempting operations or changes on your disks.

Note:

Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel® VROC) implies different variables and requirements. For inquiries regarding Intel® VROC, we kindly recommend creating a new thread so we can provide the most accurate information.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Disturbed

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Disturbed

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos