Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Need help rebuilding RAID 10, nothing happens after i click rebuild

KHopk
Beginner

howdy! first post to this community. thanks in advance for your consideration.

After a disk failure, my raid 10 changed status to "degraded." I had 2 replacement drives ready to go, i should note they are a newer model number of the original raid hdds but same stats. I removed the problem drive with serial number listed in IRST. I added one of the replacement hdds and I see it as non-Raid member in Option ROM on boot and then I can see it as "available" outside the raid 10 group (picture 1). leads me to my first question, do i have to make the new disk a raid member? if so, how do i do this? I cannot do this in option rom, presently i can only set non-raid status or delete the raid volume.

moving on,

if i navigate in IRST to disk management and select the raid, I find the "rebuild to another disk option" (pic2)

however if i click it and select the replacement hdd assign to port 3 - nothing happens. i let it sit for a day thinking maybe status might refresh, but nothing. (see pic3) can someone please help me understand why it won't rebuild?

also, is it safe to update IRST via .exe installer while the raid is in the degraded state?

build:

i5-4690K

evga z97 ftw mobo

option rom ver is 13.1.0.2030

IRST ver is 13.6.0.1002

original hdd config: 4x500gb sata hdd (WD5000AADS) one of these failed

replacement hdd: 1x500gb sata hdd to replace failed disk (WD5000AVDS)

best regards,

kevin

0 Kudos
17 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Before you do anything, make a good backup.

Doc

0 Kudos
KHopk
Beginner

Well advised Doc! Files i cannot lose are on this raid10 & 2 diff externals. I also have a disk image from 3 weeks ago pre-degrade on another external. yet this brings me no comfort :S gotta stay frosty

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I understand. The good news is you have a way to recover your data. You would be surprised how many RAID users do not.

One of the intel support staff will be able to assist you.

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello lezfigureitout,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

I would like to get some information about your system. Please run these tools and attach the reports.

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility. Follow these steps.

1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.

3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

4. Attach the report to this thread.

2. Intel® RST report.

1.Open the Intel Rapid Storage Technology user interface (Start > Programs > Intel > Intel® Rapid Storage Technology).

2.Click the Help icon.

3.Click the System Report icon.

4.Click Save.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
KHopk
Beginner

Thanks Wanner, I can generate those reports later today in about 10 hours from now.

Thx,

Kevin

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello lezfigureitout,

No problem at all. I will be waiting for you next post.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
KHopk
Beginner

I attached the reports you requested.

Appreciate your assistance. Thanks,

Kevin

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello lezfigureitout,

Thank you for your reponse.

There are two ways of rebuilding a degraded volume (Please see attachment)

If you are not able to rebuild it, you can also follow these steps:

1. Uninstall current version.

2. Restart your computer.

3. Install the following version

Version: 14.8.16.1063

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26759/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
KHopk
Beginner

I am not familiar with uninstall for Intel RST. Can you please advise?

Thanks,

Kevin
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello lezfigureitout,

Please try these steps:

Winlogo key + x > Programs and features > Uninstall Intel® Rapid Storage Technology.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
KHopk
Beginner

Wanner,

I completed the following:

The uninstall procedure you provided.

Restart

Installed 14.8.16.1063

Restart

Initiate rebuild, following the procedure you provided in the previous attachment.

Again, as I described in my initial post. After several hours, I see no evidence in Intel RST Status or Manage windows to suggest the rebuild is in process. See attached pic4.jpg

Also, as with my initial post, in the Option ROM I am still unable to add the port 3 disk as a member disk.

Thanks,

Kevin

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello lezfigureitout,

I will do further research about this issue. I will get back to you soon.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello lezfigureitout,

I was reviewing the Intel® RST report attached, and I was wondering if you have another replacement drive with the same or higher capacity than the disks already on the array. If you do, you can use it to know if you are showing any rebuilding options. Keep in mind that this is just for testing purposes.

Also, please attach a picture of the Disk Management.

Winlogo key + x > Disk Management.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello lezfigureitout,

Were you able to test the drive with the same or higher capacity than the disks already on the array?

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
KHopk
Beginner

Hi Wanner,

I apologize for the delay.

Yes, I tested swapping out the replacement drive with a second 500GB HDD (WD5000AVDS). I don't have any larger drives right now to test.

Again, I am not able to rebuild in Option ROM or RST.

I notice both of the replacement HDDs (WD5000AVDS) are displayed as approximately 0.5GB smaller than the installed HDDs (WD5000AADS). That's pretty frustrating if that is the problem, because I bought 500GB drives to replace 500GB drives.

I can attach an image of disk manager later today.

Thank you,

Kevin

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello lezfigureitout,

I am sorry to hear that you are still unable to rebuild the array in your system. Please allow me to do further research about this issue.

Could you please attach the report when using the replacement hard drives you purchased?

Also, please attach the image of Disk Manager when you are ready.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello lezfigureitout,

I am writing to follow up on your inquiry.

Are you still having problems with your system?

Wanner G.
0 Kudos