Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

No ICH7 / D975XBX2 support in Intel RST 11.6 (Windows 8)?

idata
Employee

I've been enjoying windows 8 for well over a month now, with an SSD as my system drive and raid 0 HDD array as my storage drive. I managed to get RST 11.2 installed working well after fixing the issues with the service starting on boot. Now, with 11.6 finally released, I was looking forward to more official support of my setup. Unfortunately, it seems that the installer does not recognize my board/chipset, and gives me the dreaded minimum requirements not met error. Has my hardware been dropped, or was this simply an oversight by the developers in which they didn't include recognition of my chipset or board? I can still run the 11.2 installer without problems, and I have all the required components like .Net installed. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

The drivers in 11.6 are very different to what 11.2 was but Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA RAID Controller is listed in the read me for 11.6 so not EOL yet but might be one day as ICH8R and above is listed as Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller.

You might have to do a clean install of windows with 11.6 drives from the start for it to work.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yeah, I saw that they're listed as compatible, so I assumed that maybe it was just an oversight in the hardware detection. I figured a clean install might be the fix, but I was really trying to avoid one at this point. If anyone with the same motherboard/chipset can report their own experiences, please do.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Have you tried installing the drivers manually in device manager using f6flpy-x64.zip?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, I have. Unfortunately, it breaks compatibility with the RST software, which makes windows unable to TRIM my SSD. Rolling back drivers after that actually made windows fail to boot, so I did a system restore at that point.

0 Kudos
KTee
New Contributor III

11.2.0.1006 Device ID's from iaStor.inf:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C3&CC_0104.DeviceDesc= "Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA RAID Controller"PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C6&CC_0104.DeviceDesc= "Intel(R) ICH7MDH SATA RAID Controller"PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104.DeviceDesc= "Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller"PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_0104.DeviceDesc= "Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller"

11.6.0.1030 Device ID's from iaStorAC.inf:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104.DeviceDesc= "Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller"PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_0104.DeviceDesc= "Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller"

Seems that ICH7 support has been dropped.

The readme may say that ICH7 is supported, but I guess that it hasn't been updated.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks, I was waiting for someone to confirm by looking through the inf. I suppose I could have done it myself, but I didn't get around to it. I did actually realize that it must not have been in the inf when Windows 8 gave me some warning on trying to use them, that should have tipped me off. I wonder if/when they'll officially acknowledge that it's dropped.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have the same motherboard and I am also failed to run windows 8 on my SSD Raid0. All the ports on board are filled Marvell and Intel RAID controllers are working perfectly on Windows 8. Can you please tell me that 11.2 works on Windows 8 with SSD RAID and TRIM works or not?

0 Kudos
DZand
Valued Contributor I

servili007 schrieb:

I was waiting for someone to confirm by looking through the inf.

None of the newest Intel RST(e) drivers do support Intel ICH7R/M RAID systems due to the fact, that the following required HardwareIDs are missing within the related INF files (iaStor.inf resp. iaStorAC.inf):

• PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C3&CC_0104.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA RAID Controller"
  • PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C6&CC_0104.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) ICH7MDH SATA RAID Controller"

The latest 32/64bit Intel RST drivers, which definitively do support Intel ICH7R/M SATA RAID Controllers, are v11.2.0.1006 dated 05/30/2012.

@ Abdus Sami:

The Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL runs fine with Windows 8, but you will not be able to get TRIM working within your ICH7R/M RAID array, Only Intel 7-Series chipset systems are natively supported by the TRIM in RAID0 feature.

0 Kudos