Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

No RAID support for SATA drives, only NVMe (2)

manniongeo
Beginner

Continuing this thread as a new question, per moderator request.

To summarize the original thread:

• I am unable to create a RAID array for a pair of SATA HDDs with the Intel RST VMD feature on a Z690 chipset / 12th generation CPU
  • When enabling VMD on the SATA ports - a prerequisite for creating a RAID array - the SATA drives disappear from the BIOS RAID configuration screen. This is true:
    • For every SATA port
    • With and without other drives attached (e.g. NVMe drives)
  • Similarly, the SATA drives do appear as stand-alone drives in the Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management tool in Windows, but it will not allow me to creat ea RAID array from them

Therefore - there is no configuration where these two SATA HDDs are available for creating a RAID array.

I recently tried a new test and discovered:

• I can create a RAID array using two older SATA drives

The primary differences I see are:

• Capacity:
    • Old drives: 1 TB
    • New drives: 8 TB
  • Sector size:
    • Old drives: 512n
    • New drives: 4kn

My current outstanding question is:

• QUESTION: Does the Intel Z690 chipset with a 12th generation CPU support creating a RAID array from two identical SATA HDDs that are 8 TB in size and present a 4kn sector size?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Steven_Intel

Hello manniongeo,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We are going to review the information you have provided. As soon as I have an update, I will let you know.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello manniongeo,

Both type of drives should be detected in BIOS, and since the 8 TB drives are not detected for RAID, we cannot help you with the RST tool. For further support, we recommend you to contact the board manufacturer.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos