Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Notification of "Data on one or more volumes is protected from a disk failure" but drives seem fine

Kadakadak
Beginner

After a year or two of having an invisibly working RST RAID, I thought maybe I should install the client software and check its status. I did and all three drives are normal, and the overall volume reports as normal. Great!

Next time I rebooted, I get the notification:

"Data on one or more volumes is protected from a disk failure"

That sounds like either a) something has gone horribly wrong, or b) the RAID is doing what a RAID is supposed to do, being nicely redundant. 

The client software still reports the overall volume and individual drives as normal. I don't see that anything is remotely wrong. Is this a notification to be concerned about, or just a dumb marketing message?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

LOL! Actually no, definitely not the case. This messages is simply telling you that the drives are being monitored and you will be informed if their failure becomes imminent. This is a (perhaps poorly worded) version of the standard message that is recommended by the S.M.A.R.T. specification.

...S

View solution in original post

2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

LOL! Actually no, definitely not the case. This messages is simply telling you that the drives are being monitored and you will be informed if their failure becomes imminent. This is a (perhaps poorly worded) version of the standard message that is recommended by the S.M.A.R.T. specification.

...S

Kadakadak
Beginner

Ok good! Thanks for the reply!

If anyone from Intel is listening, this is kinda silly. My GPU isn't so thirsty for attention to the point of reminding me how well it's going to draw pixels this session. 

0 Kudos