Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

RADI card with PCIe x8 (Intel® Integrated RAID Module RMS25PB080). Can plug it into PCIe X1 slot?

qmai0
Beginner

I going to buy Intel® Integrated RAID Module RMS25PB080 and I want to use it with PCIe X1 slot. I know that PCIe x8 card can plug into PCIe x1 slot and run at the speed of PCIe x1. But I'm not sure Intel® Integrated RAID Module RMS25PB080 work well with PCIe x1 slot. Anybody can help?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JoseH_Intel
Hello qmai0, Thank you for joining the community. According to the Intel Integrated RAID module hardware user guide in section under section PCI interface states the following: Intel® Integrated RAID Module RMS25PB080 and RMS25PB040 must be installed into a standard x8 or larger PCI Express* slot that complies with the PCI Express Specification, Revision 3.0. The controller is PCI Express* 1.0 and 2.0 compatible and is backwardcompatible with x8 or larger slots that are wired with x1, x2, and x4 PCI Express* lanes. You can check the complete document on the following URL: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/sb/g37519003_rms25pb080_rms25pb040_rms25cb080_rms25cb.pdf Hope this helps Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
qmai0
Beginner

Hi Jose,

Thank you so much. it's realy helpul.

My problem is that I need use SAS drive on PICe X1 slot or M2 slot, so I think that i can use it if I have Intel® Integrated RAID Module RMS25PB080 and RMS25PB040. It's not true now. Do you have any ideal or know any card to pass my problem? can this cable ok:

https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/Riser-PCI-E-pcie-PCI-Express-PCI-Express-1x-16x-pci-e-pcie-x1-x16-Extension/32650709543.html

many thanks

QuanMai

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel
Hello qmai0, Without the board model its difficult to tell if this solution might work or not. If this is a 3rd party server board then you want to doublecheck with the manufacturer for compatibility issues. On Intel boards the only way to connect SAS HDDs to a RAID controller is using a backplane or SAS expander. For installation instructions go to Figure 3. Connecting Cable between RAID module and Drives/Backplane. The reason for this is because there are no SFF8087 to SAS cables manufactured by Intel and the 3rd party ones that you could find might not be fully compatible. Regards Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
JoseH_Intel
Hello qmai0, I am just following up to double check if you were able to gather the requested information. Otherwise let us know if you require more time to accomplish this. This thread will be marked as resolved automatically in the next 72 hours if no activity is received. Regards Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
qmai0
Beginner

Hi Jose

Thank you so much. so much things are not clear with me, I need more time to research it.

I decided to buy a card then testing it in real live. So hard when research without doing anything :).

Thanks

QuanMai

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel
Hello qmai0, That sounds like a fair approach. As for now I will proceed to mark this thread as resolved. If you have further questions once you buy the RAID card don't hesitate to contact us back again. Regards Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos