Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

RAID 1 setup in BIOS (I think); need to get larger HDs

RabbitFarmer
Beginner

What I am trying to do: Install larger hard drives on my computer to replace what I have as I need more space.

I did search the forums, but could not nail down exactly how to search for what I wanted.

I have two 950 +/- GB hard drives that are setup as RAID 1 (they duplicate each other).

I cannot find any special software installed on the computer that was used to setup with RAID configuration.  It was many years ago.

I look in the BIOS (on start up) and it shows "Intel RAID 1 Volume" in the properties for the drive.

I am guessing that the RAID was setup in BIOS, but I have no idea.

So.... I found this great article about using Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) to setup or change my RAID setup. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005837/technologies/intel-rapid-storage-technology-intel-rst.html

My question: Can I install IRST on a computer that already has a RAID 1 setup, use the software to (effectively) take over the RAID configuration, and then follow the steps in the link to install larger hard drives?

Naturally, I appreciate any ideas or advice to accomplish my goals if my idea of using IRST is going down the wrong path.

Thank you

Steve

Computer:

Windows 10

AusuTek P8Z77-V Pro motherboard

i7-3770K

32GB RAM

GEForce GTX 670 video card (waiting for GPU market to stabilize!)

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello RabbitFarmer,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Based on your specifications and our research you should be able to download and install the version down below of the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) console version 14.8, just bear in mind that this version is generic; therefore, is not customized for your system and may not be supported on your computer; nonetheless,  you can still try it out.

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) User Interface and Driver

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26759/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver

For any customized drivers we suggest you contact the original manufacturer of your computer to get the latest driver from them.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello RabbitFarmer,

We appreciate the information you have provided, please allow us to do further research on our end in regard to your situation, and we will update the thread as soon as possible.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello RabbitFarmer,

Based on your specifications and our research you should be able to download and install the version down below of the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) console version 14.8, just bear in mind that this version is generic; therefore, is not customized for your system and may not be supported on your computer; nonetheless,  you can still try it out.

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) User Interface and Driver

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26759/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver

For any customized drivers we suggest you contact the original manufacturer of your computer to get the latest driver from them.

Regards,

Victor G.

Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello RabbitFarmer,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Please let me know if you need further assistance.  

Best regards,

Victor G. 

0 Kudos
RabbitFarmer
Beginner

Thank you for the follow up. I hadn't received the email notifications of replies to the post... sorry about missing them.  Got the email today with your follow up.

I will follow the link, read the release notes, etc. to determine my next steps.

There isn't a specific manufacturer for my computer as I put everything together myself (with some help) as there wasn't a good off the shelf gaming computer in my budget at the time.

Thx for your feedback/ideas (and follow up).

Steve

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello RabbitFarmer,

We will proceed to close this thread; however, if you need any additional information, you are more than welcome to submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos