Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

RAID0 Failed after Reset CMOS

RAzev4
Beginner

Hello everyone,

I have a Maximus VII Formula and I was modifing my overclock options, but I got some problems and had to reset the CMOS, because I can't access the BIOS and BOOT the computer anymore. The only option that I had was reset the CMOS, and I wouldn't think that this simple thing will do a great damage....

I had a RAID0 running for a long time (8 months +/-) without ANY problem, until now, because after reset CMOS I lost my RAID, so I went to the BIOS and change again the SATA Mode Seletion from AHCI to RAID, right? It's simple, just it, reboot and enjoy, but not to me....

After reboot I receive a image that my RAID status is FAILED, and the INTEL STORAGE TECHNOLOGY dont have any option to repair this (well its has some options but inaccessibles)...

Please, can anynone help me ? All my important data is on the RAID, NOTHING happen to the disks, I didnt change any cable, NOTHING, It was just a CLEAR CMOS and I'm freaking out now...

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

A CMOS clear should not affect the state of your RAID volume(s). It has been verified that clearing CMOS on Intel's NUC systems does not affect the state of any RAID volumes, so we know that there are no issues in the RST firmware. Thus, your board's BIOS has a serious bug and it needs to be fixed before it affects anyone else. You need to be telling your board vendor about this bug.

I would be remiss if I did not also mention that you should have been backing up your drives regularly. If you had been doing so, you wouldn't be in this mess. I know you don't want to hear this, but it has to be said.

I have never had to recover files from a broken RAID array (I do backups), but I have heard mention of tools that can do so. Here are some links to previous articles and posts that discuss tools for doing so (since I have never used any of them, I cannot personally endorse them):

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

A CMOS clear should not affect the state of your RAID volume(s). It has been verified that clearing CMOS on Intel's NUC systems does not affect the state of any RAID volumes, so we know that there are no issues in the RST firmware. Thus, your board's BIOS has a serious bug and it needs to be fixed before it affects anyone else. You need to be telling your board vendor about this bug.

I would be remiss if I did not also mention that you should have been backing up your drives regularly. If you had been doing so, you wouldn't be in this mess. I know you don't want to hear this, but it has to be said.

I have never had to recover files from a broken RAID array (I do backups), but I have heard mention of tools that can do so. Here are some links to previous articles and posts that discuss tools for doing so (since I have never used any of them, I cannot personally endorse them):

Hope this helps,

...S

RAzev4
Beginner

It's strange, because I google it and I found many topics about it with many and different mb manufacturers....

I know that I should have a backup too, but It was a little ridiculous to happen.

I'm going to test these links to night and I will post after trying them.

Thank you

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yes, all of these manufacturers seem to have this same bug. I believe that they are all using a common BIOS core and it is the core that has this bug in it. Unfortunately, because these vendors all compete with one another, they won't share bug fixes. This means they all need to look at the issue separately.

It doesn't matter how ridiculous is seems (to you), there is no excuse for not having a backup.

I wish you success extracting your files. I have a bad feeling that these tools can only extract files when it is a RAID1 array. I hope I am wrong...

...S

0 Kudos