Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

RAID5 の書き込みが遅い

Ruda
Beginner

H170 までのチップセットの RAID5 でのシーケンシャル書き込みは、単体の HDD より高速だったが、H570 と Z590 の RAID5 が遅い。初期化を終わらせ、キャッシュモードをライトバックにし、書き込みキャッシュバッファのフラッシュも無効にするという、自分の考える最も早くなる設定にしている。

どのチップセット RAID5 から遅くなったのかは判らない。ベンチマークソフトの結果から考えると、原因は次の通り。RAID ではストレージに対する読み書きは、複数のメディアに対して並列・マルチタスクで行うのが常識だったと思う。以前の チップセット RAID5 はその様に動作していたと思う。STORE アプリになった後は、複数メディアに対して、直列・シングルタスクで読み書きを行なっている様に感じる。シーケンシャル書き込みの速度は、単体 HDD に比べ、HDD が 3台の RAID5 では 1/3 になる。HDD が 5 台では 1/5 になる。HDD の数に比例して遅くなるように見える。

改善することは出来ないのだろうか。

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Jean_Intel

Hello Ruda,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

Our support is only provided in English. We may not be able to translate the screenshots attached to the thread. To better assist you, we use a translation tool, hence; the translation may not be completely accurate. 

To have more insight into the integrations, since the chipsets alone don't do much. To properly work, they need that all components are working perfectly together. Please create a report using the Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU), and create one report for each chipset you mentioned.

• Download the Intel SSU (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/25293/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html)

• Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel SSU will take you to the "Summary View." 

• Click on the menu where it says: "Summary" to change it to "Detailed View." 

• To save your scan: click on "Next"; then "Save." 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Ruda
Beginner

Hello Jean,

thank you for your reply.

I'm not good at English. However, I am checking the machine translation results. I intend to adjust it so that it will be converted correctly. The attached image should make sense even if you don't understand Japanese.

The result of SSU is attached.

The H570 system is no longer usable and is being reassembled. Therefore, the results of SSU cannot be reported.

By Google Translate

日本語原文

返信、ありがとうございます。

私は英語が苦手です。しかし、私は機械翻訳結果を確認しています。正しく変換されるように、調整したつもりです。添付の画像は、日本語が分からなくても、意味が判るはずです。

SSU の結果を添付します。

H570 のシステムは、使い物にならなかったため、組み直し中です。そのため、SSU の結果を報告できません。

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello Ruda,

Thanks for your response. The information provided has been helpful.

You mentioned in your previous posts that you have performance issues with an H570 and a Z590; however, you provided the SSU report for a Z690. Do you experience the same problem with this system?

Also, I want to confirm the make and models of the storage devices included in the RAID 5; since the SSU report did not contain this information. The report only gathered information about the drives not included in the RAID.

As per the report of the Z690, I noticed that your BIOS version is outdated, the version installed on your system is version 9906, and the latest version available is 1404. You can find the BIOS download files here (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-GAMING-Z690-PLUS-WIFI-D4/HelpDesk_BIOS). If you have any questions about the BIOS installation process, you may need to contact the manufacturer of the motherboard.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Ruda
Beginner

Hello Jean,

thank you for your reply.

The Z590 in the previous post is a typo in the Z690.

The HDD model name is included in the attachment name and benchmark image in the first post. All are WESTERN DIGITAL. Z690 is WD30WZRX x 3. H570 is WD60EZAZ x 5. H170 is WD80EAZZ x4.

The Z690 is being initialized with WD60WZAZ x 2 to test RAID1. In the pre-initialization test, it felt like the same speed as a standalone HDD. The BIOS has been upgraded to 1404.

By Google Translate

日本語原文

こんにちはジーンズ、

返信、ありがとうございます。

以前の投稿の Z590 は Z690 のタイプミスです.

最初の投稿の、添付ファイルの名称とベンチマークの画像に HDD の型名が含まれています。全て WESTERN DIGITAL です。Z690 は WD30WZRX x 3。H570 は WD60EZAZ x 5。H170 は WD80EAZZ x4。

Z690 は RAID1 をテストするため、WD60WZAZ x 2 で初期化中です。初期化前のテストでは、単体 HDD と同じ速度のように感じました。BIOS は 1404 にアップしました。

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello Ruda,

Thank you for the information provided.  

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello Ruda,

I am still investigating the problem. My apologies for the inconvenience.

Please share which benchmark is being used, and also. What is the status of the raid volume when the performance is measured?

Also, do you see lower performance only when they use greater than four drives or seeing on z690 when only 3 drives are used?

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Ruda
Beginner

Hello, Jean.

Benchmark software uses CrystalDiskMark, which is famous in Japan. The menu can be in English.

CrystalDiskMark - Crystal Dew World [ja]

All RAID5 statuses are initialized, cache mode is write back, and buffer flush is off.

I have only tried RAID5 on the Z690 with 3 HDDs. On the Z690, I haven't tested other HDDs.

By Google Translate

日本語原文

こんにちは、ジーン。

ベンチマークソフトは、日本で有名な CrystalDiskMark を使っています。メニューを英語にすることが出来ます。

CrystalDiskMark - Crystal Dew World [ja]

RAID5 のステータスは全て、初期化済、キャッシュモードはライトバック、バッファのフラッシュはオフです。

Z690 の RAID5 は、3台の HDD でしか試していません。Z690 では、私は他の HDD 台数のテストはしていません。

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello Ruda,

Thank you for the information provided. 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
Ruda
Beginner

The cause of the slowness may be compatibility with HDD.

The H170 was fast. H570 was slow. Therefore, I replaced the motherboard of the PC from the H570 to the Z170. Z170 can be expected to be equivalent to H170. However, the speed remained slow.

H170 IRST RAID5 WDC WD80EAZZ x 4.jpgZ170 RAID5 (WD60EZAZ x 5) 64GiB.jpg

I tried changing the data stripe size. The default is 128KB, but 64KB is a big improvement.

Z170 RAID5(WD60EZAZ x 5) Data stripe size 64K.jpg

Therefore, we tested while changing the number of HDDs and the size of the data stripe. Up to 4 units could be tested without initialization. If it is 5 units, initialization is required and it takes too much time, so it is still being tested.

Z170 WD60EZAZ x 3 No initialise Stripe size 16KB.jpgZ170 WD60EZAZ x 3 No initialise Stripe size 32KB.jpgZ170 WD60EZAZ x 3 No initialise Stripe size 64KB.jpgZ170 WD60EZAZ x 3 No initialise Stripe size 128KB 2.jpgZ170 WD60EZAZ x 4 No initialise Stripe size 16KB.jpgZ170 WD60EZAZ x 4 No initialise Stripe size 32KB.jpgZ170 WD60EZAZ x 4 No initialise Stripe size 64KB.jpgZ170 WD60EZAZ x 4 No initialise Stripe size 128KB 2.jpg

By Google Translate

日本語原文

遅い原因は HDD との相性かも知れない。

H170 は速かった。H570 は遅かった。そのため、私は PC のマザーボードを H570 の物から Z170 の物に交換した。Z170 は H170 と同等であることが期待出来る。しかし、速度は遅いままだった。

試しにデータストライプサイズを変えてみた。デフォルトでは 128KB だが、64KB にすると大きく改善された。

そのため、HDD 台数とデータストライプサイズを変えながらテストをした。4台までは初期化せずにテストできた。5台だと初期化が必要で時間が掛りすぎ、まだテスト中です。

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello Ruda,

Thanks for waiting for a response.

We will continue to try and investigate this issue further and if there is a bug found with Intel® RST we will fix it.

Since this will take us some time, we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos