Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2046 Discussions

RAID5 recovery from crashed motherboard

BillBlair
Beginner

At the end of November, my ASUS Sabertooth X99 crashed. After testing/replacing many components, I purchased a new MB, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Elite AX DDR4. I had a RAID5 array on old board consisting of 4 x 4TB WD Red drives. This RAID5 array was data only. No OS. Windows 10 Pro. It was created in the BIOS of the old board and I monitored it in Windows 10 using the IRST software.

In setting up the new board, I inserted my old M.2 drive into one of the 4 M.2 slots and after a few updates and driver installs, I was back up and running with my Windows 10 Pro, but had not yet plugged in my RAID5 drives. So far so good. I enabled RAID in my bios and plugged the 4 drives in. I forget the exact message but I believe it said it was an unrecognizable array when I went into BIOS. I had installed I believe, all IRST related files as provided by Gigabyte, and when I was not able to see RAID array in windows, or the IRST interface. I would get an error telling me IRST could not start because some system process was happening.

What do I need to do to recover my array on this new board? Why am I not seeing the IRST user interface after I successfully install it?

I have attached the saved file from a run of Intel's SSU.exe for detail. Note that there is a RAID1 array set up. I did this using 2 M.2 drives to try and get IRST software to show up so I could "import" the RAID5 array once I plug them in again. I am able to see that RAID1 drive once I assign a drive letter and path to it in the Disk Manager of Windows 10 Computer Administration software. Again though, I do not see the install of IRST to monitor this array or any other disks on the system.

Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide on this process. I have been at it for about 2 days reading articles and trying different things, but have not made it to resolution with the methods attempted.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jean_Intel

Hello BillBlair,

Thank you for the information provided. 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello BillBlair,

Thanks for waiting for a response.

Regarding your issue, I would like to confirm if you have already confirmed with Gigabyte about the latest RST driver.

Also, it is important to mention that this board supports RAID 5 but may need to use specific ports. You need to check on the internal connectors supporting this technology.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
BillBlair
Beginner

Yes, I do have the latest RST driver from Gigabyte, but this is NOT a new install so getting some of those drivers installed has eluded me. I am aware of the specific ports and have had the RAID drives plugged into them, but it gave me in BIOS, a "Unrecognizable" error message for that RAID array. It did have it's correct name though!

Let me know what my next steps are!

Thanks

BB

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello BillBlair,

I appreciate the information you provided.

Let us look into this and we will get back to you at our earliest convenience.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello BillBlair,

Thanks for waiting for doe a response.

Since all the configuration was performed from the BIOS, Gigabyte should provide support. It is important to mention that Intel provides the technology; however, the configuration steps should be provided by the OEM since we cannot advise about their configuration, as we could impact/damage other features implemented by the OEM.

Since we recommended you contact Gigabyte, we will close the thread now. Please, keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support TechnicianHello BillBlair,

Thanks for waiting for doe a response.

Since all the configuration was performed from the BIOS, Gigabyte should provide support. It is important to mention that Intel provides the technology; however, the configuration steps should be provided by the OEM since we cannot advise about their configuration, as we could impact/damage other features implemented by the OEM.

Since we recommended you contact Gigabyte, we will close the thread now. Please, keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
HASWELL_6955X
Beginner

Hi BillBlair,

Does the iRST software work if you unplug the Drives from the RAID5 ?

And go back to seeing your M.2 RAID 1 Array?

Have you tried to reinitialise the array in BIOS software?

You may not have enough PCIe lanes and bandwidth to host those SATA ports with the M.2 Ports enabled.

There are two types of M.2 SSDs: M.2 SATA SSDs and M.2 PCIe SSDs. Be sure to verify which type of
M.2 SSDs is supported by the M.2 socket you want to use. Please note that an M.2 PCIe SSD cannot

be used to create a RAID set either with an M.2 SATA SSD or a SATA hard drive. Please navigate to the

"Configuring a RAID Set" page of GIGABYTE's website for instructions on configuring a RAID array.

The availability of the SATA connectors may be affected by the type of device installed in the M.2 sockets. The

M2M_SB connector shares bandwidth with the SATA3 2, 3 connector. Refer to the GIGABYTE MANUAL

HASWELL_6955X_0-1680399248464.png

0 Kudos