Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

RS3UC080 - can not see JBOD options in HII.

Brendan
New Contributor I

Hi,

I have a RS3UC080 RAID controller on a S2600STB mobo and 4 SAS HDD on the backplane. UEFI boot. This RAID controller supports JBOD but I do not see this as an option in the HII menus. My OS is installed on an M.2 SSD. When I boot into the OS, I can see the individual drives in /dev as sda to sdd. Does this mean the default without setting any options in HII is JBOD? Please advise.

Thanks,

Brendan

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JoseH_Intel

Hello Brendan,

This is what we got from engineering:

"Yes, the controller supports JBOD, mode. There is no option in the HII for this controller though.

The RS3UC080, by default it is in JBOD mode

So in the way this operates JBOD is in use by default and that is why there is no setting in HII to change it. RAID volume creation and features would be handled from the RAID Web Console application. "

Hope this helps

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
JoseH_Intel

Hello Brendan,

Welcome back.

There should be the JBOC option to setup within BIOS in Advanced>PCI option ROM>RAID controller listed. Unfortunately we don't have the equipment available in this moment for our testing.

An alternate way is to install the RAID Web Console 3 software within the OS and it will allow you to do setup from there.

Let me know if this helps. Otherwise I will book our S2600ST system

Jose A.

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello Brendan,

Do you have any further details, updates, questions or comments in regards to this issue?

This thread will be marked as resolved automatically in the next 72 hours if no activity is received.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
Brendan
New Contributor I

Hi again Jose. Thanks for the welcome back.

First off, my UEFI and RAID firmware are up to-date.

The menus are:

Advanced > PCI > UEFI option ROM > My RAID controller > Controller Management > Create Configuration > Select RAID level

with RAID levels 0,1,1e,10

There is no JBOD option. Without changing any settings my OS is seeing JBOD i.e. an individual device for each HDD. The controller spec page states JBOD is supported. So either the error is in the HII interface or the controller documentation. Would it be possible to simply ask an engineer whether the default behavior for this controller is JBOD? In other words, if a RAID configuration is not specified, JBOD is the default? While I am happy that my OS sees JBOD, I would like verification that I am using the controller properly. If the HII interface is not exposing JBOD as an option, I am skeptical that the Web Console will either. Thanks.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello Brendan,

Good to hear that at least you are getting the desired behavior from the OS. About the HII its interface could change with different BIOS updates, and/or the user guide might not reflect the changes that soon.

Anyway, please let me book our testing system in order to confirm about the JBOD settings.

Will get back to your as soon as I get updates

Jose A.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello Brendan,

I apologize for the late reply. I was struggling to spare the equipment and the correct RAID controller

After I finally got it I think I faced a similar issue as the one you were getting, I could not get the JBOD option anywhere. So after setting to factory defaults (jumper or F9 option) it showed up under Advanced> PCI configuration > UEFI option ROM control > Storage Controller (bottom) > Main menu > Controller management > Advanced controller management > Switch to JBOD mode (bottom)

Its possible you might get Switch to RAID mode if JBOD is already enabled.

Hope it helps

Jose A.

0 Kudos
Brendan
New Contributor I

Hi Jose,

Thanks for the testing. I reset UEFI to defaults, but I still have the same problem. I do not have the "Advanced controller management" menu item. I have options to view and change controller properties, but that is all.

Edit: Jose, when you first enter the Storage Controller Menu do you see "LSI SAS3 MPT Controller Version 18.0.0.00"? That is the only other data I can offer. Just double checked that BIOS and RAID firmware are up to date. What would happen if I temporarily changed to Legacy boot and ctrl-R'd to the RAID M BIOS configuration utility? And then changed back to UEFI booting? Would this be safe?

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello Brendan,

What options do you have after selecting your RAID controller from UEFI option ROM control? Could you attach some screenshots from the Storage Controller shown as "LSI SAS3 MPT Controller Version 18.0.0.00" and the screens after that please?

Jose A.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello Brendan,

I am just following up to double check if you were able to gather the requested information. Otherwise let us know if you require more time to accomplish this.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
Brendan
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello Brendan,

Its weird that it shows the chip version. In our system it shows "Intel RAID Controller RS3UC080 configuration utility"

Could you please attach the marking of this RAID card so we can double check the serial number?

Jose A.

0 Kudos
Brendan
New Contributor I

IMG_0828_thumb.jpg

Oops! Wrong photo! Here it is:

IMG_0849_thumb.jpg

SN : SP83300654

Intel RAID RS3UC080

STUC83311283 PBA H10156-151

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello Brendan,

Thanks for the pictures, your dog looks fun though. We have checked and this RAID controller shows as validated for this board. Next step will be to update the RAID controller firmware so we can see if the any of the description and menus in BIOS changes.

You can downlead the most recent firmware version from here

Let me know how it goes.

Jose A.

0 Kudos
Brendan
New Contributor I

I already updated my firmware. If you look at the last UEFI photo, you will see that my firmware version is 16.00.01.00

I'll re-flash and edit this post, but it seems unlikely to fix it.

Edit: Re-flashed. No change.

Edit2: Should I flash to RS3UC080J instead of RS3UC080?

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello Brendan,

Better not. You don't want to flash using the RS3UC080J. That is the JBOD only version and it does not support RAID. We will elevate this to our engineering department. We will let you know once we get a word from them.

Jose A.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello Brendan,

This is what we got from engineering:

"Yes, the controller supports JBOD, mode. There is no option in the HII for this controller though.

The RS3UC080, by default it is in JBOD mode

So in the way this operates JBOD is in use by default and that is why there is no setting in HII to change it. RAID volume creation and features would be handled from the RAID Web Console application. "

Hope this helps

Jose A.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello Brendan,

I am just following up to double check if you found the provided information useful. If you have further questions please don't hesitate to ask. If you consider the issue to be completed please let us know so we can proceed to mark this ticket as resolved. This support interaction will be marked as resolved automatically in the next 72 hours if no activity is received.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
Brendan
New Contributor I

Hi Jose,

Thanks for the support. Until next time.

Regards,

Brendan

0 Kudos