Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

RST 8.9.0.1023 marks RAID10 disc 'Verify' but machine crashes before action can be taken

idata
Employee

I have an i7 machine running Window 7 64 bit with a RAID 10 configuration of four (striped & mirrored) discs.

The RST driver has marked the main RAID partition as 'Verify'.

I have installed the latest RST Manager but it is lucky to get 1.74% into the verification process before the processor switches off.

On restart, the machine beeps like an old-fashioned British police car (two tone siren!). Sometimes the machine switches off before it exits the RST driver (8.9.0.1023); sometimes I can bring the machine up into Windows 7 Safe Mode (though Windows does not permit the RST manager to be loaded in Safe Mode). Sometimes the machine switches off; sometimes I manage to close Windows in a controlled fashion. It appears as if the machine crashes more quickly if I attempt to restart immediately after the last crash, rather than walk away and drink a coffee!.

If I can shut down in a controlled fashion, it is possible to restart Windows normally. However, even if the RST Manager has time to start verification, the machine shuts down before it makes much progress.

I'm trying to upgrade the RST DRIVER to 10.1.0.1008 using STOR_allOS_10.1.0.1008_PV.exe but I have not yet had the installation run to completion before the machine crashes again. Not sure what to do with STOR_F6_64_10.1.0.1008_PV.exe, as with an OS already installed pressin

Using a recovery disc is no use, as it doesn't install RST Manager and if I install RST Manager it requires a restart, which as like as not will fail.

Why is my PC hard-crashing (either pre- or post-Windows startup, so not an OS issue)?

How do I get RAID recovery to run to completion?

2 Replies
idata
Employee

WRT "Not sure what to do with STOR_F6_64_10.1.0.1008_PV.exe, as with an OS already installed pressin" I meant to type

Not sure what to do with STOR_F6_64_10.1.0.1008_PV.exe, as with an OS already installed pressing F6 during boot up doesn't appear to have any effect.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Eventually tracked underlying problem to dust on CPU fan - thermal protection trip-out was activated, preventing verification to take place.

0 Kudos