Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

RST 9.6 with ICH10R in RAID5, rebuild corrupted the volume

idata
Employee

Hi, i'm using a P45/ICH10R based board, all intel SATA ports are occupied (1-SSD 2,3 - RAID0, 4-5-6 RAID5). I disconnected the three raid 5 disks because i had to transfer files to another drive. Once i was done transfering files i reconnected drives connected to ports 4,5 and 6 but forgot drive 5 SATA cable. In windows i saw there was a missing disk so i immediately powered off, reconnected SATA cable # 5 and returned to windows. Once in windows RST started a rebuild which took several hours, after the rebuild is complete, the volume appears corrupted, windows does not recognize the partition (says unknown in windows disk management). Intel RST software claims the rebuild was successful, and the volume status is normal. I have tried recomposing the data using RAID recovery software but it can only find small file fragments.

1800GB gone, is there anyone that knows or understands what might have gone wrong?

Is there any change i'm going to see my precious data without paying for professional data recovery services?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help, i'm sure i'm not the first person who has this problem!

Regards,

Simon

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Does the intel communities forum have official intel reps to monitor these boards?

Is my thread in the wrong forum subsection?

Are all the replies are from end users? If so i'll look for help elsewhere...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The problem seems like the structure got corrupted and the rebuild process may ended up corrupting the files. Unfortunately it seems like the information was lost.

PV.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Just wanted to laugh at your misfortune, cruel I know, and it was 1.8TB? I hope it was business critical data. That way you'll learn that raid5 is not backup.

Ah well that cheered me up. Thanks for that. Hahahaha LOL. Restore your last backup and grovel to your manager, its your only hope of keeping your job.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Daren you are a heartless C*nt you f*cking troll

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

This was all my personal data. I would be proceeding much differently in an enterprise environment. Having Server+, HP Proliant, IBM Xseries, bladecenter certifications, it's basic knowledge that you should use a dedicated hardware RAID card, or a SAN, not some onboard raid on a consumer-grade chipset/board.

Whatever you do, use the right hardware for the right task. Onboard Intel RAID works just fine at home, but avoid raid 5 and always have your data at minimum two places at a time. RAID NAS boxes aren't a solution either, one of my customers purchased a 1TB four disk NAS unit featuring some sort of proprietary RAID 5 solution. All four disks were fine but the unit didn't work anymore, the manufacturer sent us a unit that has a different OS/Firmware on it, so couldn't just put the drives in the new unit and be up and running again. Should have been really simple but the box manufacturer made it complicated and all they want is the customer to send the unit+drives for data recovery costing thousands... Not really worth it.

0 Kudos