Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

RST Migrated from RAID 1 to RAID 0 - can be reversed?

SCrai1
Beginner

My client likes to check his RAID status. Apparently, he clicked on something that has changed how I had his RAID configuration. He noticed something wasn't right in that it was saying "Migrating data" and giving a percentage. When I got on, it was at 10% and indicated that the type is now RAID 0!?

Apparently, he unintentionally clicked on something that did this. I don't see any options to cancel it (and not sure if I should if I could anyway). We want RAID 1 -- not RAID 0!

Is there a way to go from RAID 0 to RAID 1 without having to recreate the RAID as it once was? It seems as though this was WAY too easy so I'd hope there's some way to reverting back. He mentioned that nothing confirmed what he clicked on - it just started with this migration nonsense. Again, seems like this happened very easily without a few confirmations as would be the case while working in the hardware version of the RAID (vs. the software version within the OS).

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello SBCraig,

Thank you for joining the Intel® RST Community.

From our end there is not information regarding this type migration, actually the RAID migrations supported can be found below, and the one you are trying to is not supported.

It will not be possible to migrate RAID 0 to RAID 1 without having to recreate the RAID, you will need to start from scratch.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
SCrai1
Beginner

Amy:

Thanks for your reply. The types of RAID supported make sense and are good to know.

Likewise, I was afraid of this where if you're at RAID 0, the only way to get back to RAID 1 is by recreating it, which requires being on-site to either reinstall the OS & apps from scratch *OR* do an image copy/restore.

Either way, I'm upset that the software allowed it to go from the working RAID 1 to RAID 0 so EASILY?!? No user should be able to do it that easily so why the software allowed for this to happen disturbs me big-time! Because of it, I know have a 4-6 hour project ahead of me, which requires having to go on-site on top of it. Again, all because the stupid software allowed it to migrate from RAID 1 to RAID 0 so easily. There should be some kind of protection to MAKE IT DAMN CLEAR what is about to happen before being acknowledged. Heck, even password protection for an IT guy would be a great idea so as to prevent dumbass users from doing something like this. Again, it should have been this easy, but having some kind of protection would have been nice too.

Not happy with this Intel software at all to say the least!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sure /thread/120136 SBCraig, I understand your point of view and my apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
SCrai1
Beginner

Yeah, it's a HUGE inconvenience. If you found out a client did that and it'd require a few hours of time "in person" you'd be quite upset too! The software simply shouldn't have allowed this to happen! There's nothing you can do about it, but what I would ask of you is that you forward my suggestion to the programmers so future versions of the Intel software can have an improved method to prevent this from happening (or make it DAMN CLEAR) what's about to happen AND that it's irreversible if chosen! My client recalled one thing pop up where he hit OK (vs. cancel). That's completely unacceptable and very disappointing (for him to do first of all, but more importantly, for the Intel software to allow it to do too). I can't believe the geniuses at Intel couldn't put better protection on something like this knowing it's not a reversible situation. My client (nor I) should have to pay for this time that'll have to be spent to get him back into a RAID 1 scenario.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am really sorry to hear that, and again my apologies.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos