Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2046 Discussions

RST and HM55 Chipsets - W10 drivers

damu
Novice

Hello,

just a confirmation please: does the RST W10 driver exist for the HM55 express chispset ?

(I guess no).

Currently I'm running the MS ' one on a brand new SSD and I'd like to get better performances.

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello DPetr7,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

I understand that you would like to know if there are Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) drivers for Windows® 10 compatible with the Mobile Intel® HM55 Express Chipset.

The latest Intel® RST driver supporting the Mobile Intel® HM55 Express Chipset is driver version 12.9.0.1001, however, this driver and previous versions do not include support for Windows® 10, the driver is available for Windows® 8.1/8/7 and Windows® Server 2012/2008R2/2008.

The first Intel® RST driver for Windows® 10 is driver version 14.8.16.1063, and this driver and newer versions do not support the Mobile Intel® HM55 Express Chipset nor the Intel® 5 Series Chipsets.

This information is available on the "Read Me (txt)" and "Release Notes" of the driver download page.

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello DPetr7,

The information on the previous post is correct regarding Intel's generic drivers for Intel® RST.

However, we would like to recommend you to check with the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) of the device (laptop, tablet, desktop PC) regarding supported drivers for your system.

They can confirm if your system is compatible with Windows® 10 and the supported drivers available for each Windows® version. System manufacturers regularly customize Intel generic drivers to meet the needs of their specific system design. In such cases, the use of the Intel generic driver update is not recommended.

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
damu
Novice
Hello Andrew, thank you very much for your support :-) I have already checked on the Acer's support website and Win7 is latest O.S. supported by them. Currently I am running the generic driver released by MS (I am not sure if in origin it comes from Intel). Maybe I could try with the Win8's RST driver from Intel you mentioned but probably I will leave the generic one. Thanks. Damiano Il giorno lun 30 set 2019 alle ore 19:24 Intel Forums < supportreplies@intel.com> ha scritto:
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Using a version of RST that is not intended for your OS is a bad idea.

Doc

0 Kudos
damu
Novice
Of course :) When there was the transition between Win8 and Win10, MS said that all drivers - or the major part I think - coming from the old O.S. would have beeen compatible with the new one. Not sure now but this could be a possibility. Thanks. Damiano Il giorno lun 30 set 2019 alle ore 21:47 Intel Forums < supportreplies@intel.com> ha scritto:
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Let's start here: Are you using RAID or do you actually NEED RST?

If no, then avoid the entire issue.

Doc

0 Kudos
damu
Novice
Hello, I am running Win10 on a brand new SSD installed in a laptop. Currently I am running the MS' generic drivers for the AHCI controller, I was looking for the Intel's ones to get better performance if possible but probably I will continue with the MS' ones with out trying those one for Win8 previously mentioned. Regards. Damiano Il giorno lun 30 set 2019 alle ore 22:45 Intel Forums < supportreplies@intel.com> ha scritto:
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

There has been some debate, long ago, about which is the better performer: ahci or RST. If you are not using raid, stay with the MS AHCI. You will be glad you did, and any performance difference (if any) is negligible.

Doc

0 Kudos