Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2054 Discussions

RST service not running after fresh Windows install

thunderrd
Beginner

A few weeks ago I opened this case. The case is closed now:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004KjOf9SAF/why-is-rst-service-not-running-on-win-10

The conclusion was a broken Windows install. The advice was to reinstall Windows. I have just done this, and reinstalled Windows 1903, but the problem persists: Intel RST Service not running.

I am ready to troubleshoot this with some help. What information do I need to provide to help?

The messages in event viewer are the same as before.

Thank you for the help, in advance!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello thunderrd

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community.

·        What is the brand and model of the system?

·        What version of Intel® RST doe you have installed? Please provide a download link if possible.

·        Do you have access to the Intel® RST user interface? If you do please provide the Intel® RST system report.

·        Intel® RST system report:

o  Please follow the instructions below:

1.   Open the Intel Rapid Storage Technology user interface (Start > Programs > Intel > Intel® Rapid Storage Technology).

2.   Click the Help icon.

3.   Click the System Report icon.

4.   To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

·        Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

o  Steps to save the report:

1-   Run the utility.

2-   Click on “Scan” to get the scanned system.

3-   Once the scan is complete click on “next”.

4-   Use the “save” option, save the report to your desktop.

5-   To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

Regards,

Leonardo C.                        

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
thunderrd
Beginner

Hi, this is a homebuilt system. The mainboard is ASUS Maximus XI Formula. Sorry, but the interface does not open; I presume it is because the RST service isn't running, as reported in the tray area.

When I first reinstalled Windows on this machine last week, I installed version 16.5.1.1030 from the install disk that came with the mainboard. This version was working. Now, I notice that the RST version installed now is 16.7.0.1009. RST must have updated itself, so perhaps that is the problem. How can I roll back to the older version to test?

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello thunderrd

Intel® RST does not update itself this update could have happened because of a Windows® updates on the system. You can try completing a restore point to a point prior to the update, also you can try installing the drivers provided by ASUS* (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-FORMULA/HelpDesk_Download/) for Intel RST.

Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel®. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® for the merchants or services offered there.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello thunderrd

Have you tried the steps and drivers provided?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
thunderrd
Beginner

Yes. I have. I tried both of the available restore points, with the same result.

As I said, I installed RST from the driver disk provided with the mainboard, but just for giggles, I attempted to install the most recent version from the link you provided. This failed completely to install.

I am about to give up on this. It doesn't seem right that Windows should break the setup every time it updates. I'm not assigning blame; I am just at the point where I really don't care anymore. Is it a Windows fault or RST? I really don't care much anymore, if it won't work without all this drama. I have done more troubleshooting than a user should have to.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello thunderrd

Thank you for the updates on the case.

·        Are you using Intel® RST for any particular reason on the system?

·        Can you try installing the latest version of Intel® RST from the Intel® download center on the system? reference link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28650/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=55005

·        In reference to the automatic updates on the system, we recommend contacting Microsoft® to report the behavior o guidance to avoid them if it is possible.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
thunderrd
Beginner

Please read the third post in this thread. The version you have recommended was installed.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello thunderrd

Thank you for the clarification, are you using Intel® RST for any particular reason on the system?

Can you tried uninstalling the Intel® RST software from the system following these steps:

•          Click on the small Windows icon to open the menu, select Programs and features, if you are using Windows 7, you should firstly click to open Control Panel on the menu, and then access on the feature via clicking “Uninstall a program”

•          Right-click on Intel Rapid Storage Technology on the list, and select Uninstall

•          Start and continue the removing process with uninstalling wizards

•          Restart your computer, search for Intel Rapid Storage Technology on the PC and make sure everything has been clear well

You can also try to uninstall the driver form the device manager:

•          Right-click on the little Windows icon on the bottom left corner of the screen, and choose Device Manager

•          (For older OS, click on the Start button, right-click on Computer >select Properties > click Device Manager on the left pane)

•          Double-click to open IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, and go to Driver tab

•          Click on the Uninstall button to delete the driver, and reboot the computer when finish

•          Log-in the computer and access to Device Manager again, and make sure everything related to the Intel Rapid Storage Technology has been disappearing, if you still find something related on the list, you should disable and delete them.

NOTE: Download the latest driver from the OEM and disconnect your system from the internet to avoid automatic updates and to complete the steps to uninstall Intel RST.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello thunderrd

Have you tried the steps provided?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello thunderrd

I haven’t heard back from you; please contact us if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos