Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

RST userinterface disapeared after Windows 10 pro (64 bit) upgrade (1909 to 2004) with RAID 1

paul66
Novice

Hallo,

my HP Workstation (xw4600, mainboard: 0AA0h) is working fine, but this upgrade (it was done in the background, I didn't even notice it).

RST was running perfect with WIN 10 version 1909, but now it was obviously moved into the windows.old folder during the upgrade. It is still shown in: SETTINGS/APPS & FEATURES (version 12.9.0.1001 and the "change" button is inactive) but disappeard from the list of my apps when cklicking the START button. The device manager shows no problems, the drivers for the disk (Intel Raid 1 Volume SCSI Disk Device, Microsoft, Version 10.0.19041.1, Date 21.06.2006) and the controller (Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller) are the latest and both are working fine. My CPU is an Intel64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11.

So now I would like to know first: Is my RAID 1 system still working? (I assume yes).

What would happen if I try to uninstall the Intel Rapid Storage Technology from my Windows Apps. Will this uninstall the drives too and will this deleate my RAID 1?

Second: Is it possible to just uninstall and then reinstall (I have the SetupRST.exe still in my download folder, product version 12.9.0.1001 and file version 2.0.42.0).

I have added the SSU report.

THANK YOU

Paul

0 Kudos
1 Solution
paul66
Novice

Hi Scott,

In the meantime, I found a solution and solved the problem, so RST userinterface is running without a problem (version 12.9.0.1001).

The problem that causes the error: This product requires a restart was a broken/old registry entry at:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Intel\Setup$

After deleating this entry I could install setupRST.exe (version 12.9.0.1001) and everything is fine.

To be honest, I don't understand all the statements from Intel that the old platforms are not supported or that Windows 10 does not support the older versions of Intels RST.

Paul

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

paul66, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Thank you for providing the SSU report as well. In reference to this scenario, it seems that actually what happens is a compatibility problem between all the parts involved in this configuration. 

I looked on HP's website and the HP xw4600 Workstation works with the Intel® X38 Express chipset that was released back in 2007 and that it is not fully compatible with Windows* 10, it is currently discontinued:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/31919/intel-82x38-memory-controller.html

That is the reason why the Intel® RST interface disappeared after the Windows* upgrade and for this platform, we can say you were kind of "lucky" with your system since it was working fine with Windows* 10 1909.

Regarding your questions:

"Is my RAID 1 system still working? (I assume yes)", that is correct, the RAID 1 is still working since what got deleted was the user interface not the RAID 1 structure itself.

"What would happen if I try to uninstall the Intel Rapid Storage Technology from my Windows Apps. Will this uninstall the drives too and will this deleate my RAID 1?" The response is no, because of the same reason, what got the deleted was the user interface the RAID 1 structure is still there so you can always, that date remains in the Windows* Kernel.

"Is it possible to just uninstall and then reinstall (I have the SetupRST.exe still in my download folder, product version 12.9.0.1001 and file version 2.0.42.0)." The answer is yes, but, this version of Intel® RST 12.9.0.1001 is not fully compatible with Windows* 10, the version that you should be using and that we recommend to install is version 14.8:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26759/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=55005 

When you said "file version 2.0.42.0" what do you mean, could you please explain to which file are you referring to?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
paul66
Novice

Hi Alberto,

Thank you so far. To your question: The file version of the SetupRST.exe is 2.0.42.0

Now I have successfully uninstalled the old version. Just one question before installing the new version: Is there any risk that I crash my PC/Windows system because RST will eventually install a new driver (that may be not compatible) without a warning?

Thank you.

Paul

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi paul66, You are very welcome, thank you very much for your response.

Just to let you know, we always recommend to back up any important information you might have on your RAID configuration before doing any changes to the Intel® RST application or to the RAID structure.

Now, in reference to your inquiry, "Is there any risk that I crash the PC/Windows system because RST will eventually install a new driver (that may be not compatible) without a warning?", no, there is no risk, what will change if eventually a new driver gets installed will be the Intel® RST user interface, the RAID 1 structure will remain the same and the PC/Windows* will not crash.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
paul66
Novice

Dear Alberto,

after installing the version you recommended it looked good, the interface was working and said my harddrives are ok.

THEN: restart and ERROR: PC can't find any boot device. Then automatic repair from recovery point and now PC is running fine without RST unser interface.

I still have the setupRST.exe version 12.9.0.1001 but I can't install it because it says: the product requires a restart. I would like to try to use the version 12.9.0.1001 (maybe with compability mode win 7). Do I need to delete some old registry entries?

Thank you.

Paul

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Compatibility Mode won't help you as there are device drivers involved.

Unless that package specifically says it is for Windows 10, it isn't going to install.

Let's face facts, Intel chose to NOT support Intel RST under Windows 10 on these oldwe 3, 4 and 5 Series boards. Microsoft provided an inbox driver that sort of worked with early versions of Windows 10. As things progressed, however, well, you see the results; it is no longer being supported by Microsoft (either).

Sorry, but reality bites,

...S

0 Kudos
paul66
Novice

Hello Scott,

OK, but why do I see the: "this product requires a restart?"

Paul

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

In what context do you see this? For an RST update? Take a screenshot showing this.

...S

0 Kudos
paul66
Novice

Hi Scott,

In the meantime, I found a solution and solved the problem, so RST userinterface is running without a problem (version 12.9.0.1001).

The problem that causes the error: This product requires a restart was a broken/old registry entry at:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Intel\Setup$

After deleating this entry I could install setupRST.exe (version 12.9.0.1001) and everything is fine.

To be honest, I don't understand all the statements from Intel that the old platforms are not supported or that Windows 10 does not support the older versions of Intels RST.

Paul

0 Kudos