Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Raid1 (Mirror) and Raid10 options are missing, only Raid0 (Striping) available

JV
Beginner
Hello,

I've got MSI GT70 2PC DOMINATOR laptop with AMI Bios Ver 2.16.1243 and Intel Rapid Store ROM 12.7.0.19.36

For the intention of having  mirror or raid10 of 2TB I bought and Installed two Samsung SSDs of the same model: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB MZ-76P2T0 (2TB each) and installed them.
I switched “SATA Mode Selection“ to RAID.

The problem with Intel RAID is: Raid1 (Mirror) and Raid10 options are missing, and only Raid0 (Striping) available. Recovery option is present, but it does not use full space of 2TB,— which is definitely not the way it should be.

I tried UEFI and non-UEFI (Legacy mode).

Raid0 is not an acceptable option. Using not full disk space (2 TB) is not acceptable either.

So I'm asking for assistance in having proper mirror with these SSDs investment.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

JV, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to your inquiry, the reason why the options for RAID 1 and RAID 10 are missing in your platform is because the BIOS of the computer does not support them, they are not available on this specific BIOS version. So what we recommend is to get in contact directly with the manufacturer of the computer to confirm if the RAID 1 and 10 options are supported and to gather the instructions on how to update the Option ROM as well. The Option ROM gets updated through a BIOS version that contains the update for it, the manufacturer of the laptop should be able to provide the proper BIOS version for the optimal configuration of the computer and to confirm which RAID volumes are supported.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Are you seeing (or not seeing, as the case may be) the missing capabilities from within the RST OpROM firmware (i.e. from CTRL-I press during BIOS POST) or from the Windows-based tool? It sounds like the Windows-based tool. If this is the case, reboot and do a CTRL-I press during BIOS POST (Splash Screen) and see whether the capability is properly offered in the RST OpROM firmware.

...S

P.S. Note that, in more-modern UEFI implementations, when you enable RAID, the capabilities of the RST OpROM firmware might be exposed within the UEFI (BIOS) Setup program, rather than be separately invoked via CTRL-I during POST.

0 Kudos
JV
Beginner
It's both in UEFI RAID setup and from CTRL-I press during BIOS POST.

The result is the same in these 2 places.

No operating system is bootable yet, because first I need to setup mirroring.
0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

JV, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to your inquiry, the reason why the options for RAID 1 and RAID 10 are missing in your platform is because the BIOS of the computer does not support them, they are not available on this specific BIOS version. So what we recommend is to get in contact directly with the manufacturer of the computer to confirm if the RAID 1 and 10 options are supported and to gather the instructions on how to update the Option ROM as well. The Option ROM gets updated through a BIOS version that contains the update for it, the manufacturer of the laptop should be able to provide the proper BIOS version for the optimal configuration of the computer and to confirm which RAID volumes are supported.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel 

JV
Beginner
0 Kudos