Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Rapid Storage Technology- Easiest way to reformat or replace SSD?

GBenz
Beginner

I have a Lenovo Y580 laptop running 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium with a 1 GB HD and a factory installed 32 GB ssd with Intel RST also factory installed. The ssd has only been used for caching and has been about 1/3 full for the entire 2 years that I've had it. Everything is factory stock.

Recently checkdisk was run on the ssd, and at the end of the analysis, it went into an endless loop of an error message, something about "can't write to log file". After restarting, everything seemed to be working normally, but the ssd went from about 30% full to 75% full. I ran it again and it went to 100% full. But everything still seems to be working normally. There are only about 4 GB of visible files on the drive, and I assume a cache file, but it shows 0 bytes remaining. CrystalDiskInfo reports that the drive is healthy (95%). It makes me wonder if chkdsk screwed up the directory or blocked off all free space as bad.

I want to deactivate RST or whatever else might get in the way, then reformat the ssd (or replace it if it seems bad), then restore RST so that caching works exactly as it did before. And I would really like to do this without having to re-install Windows and starting from scratch. Is there a recommended procedure for doing this? I've read somewhere that if I just go and disconnect the ssd, that the system will not even start. I don't want this to blow up in my face. I can find my way around but am not a full-fledged techie.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Use the following steps:

1. Disable Intel® Smart Response Technology in Intel® Rapid Storage Technology's acceleration tab, and then "Reset disk to available".
  2. Run a Secure Erase on the drive. The SSD manufacturer usually provides a software tool for this purpose.
  3. Enable Intel® Smart Response Technology. http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-032826.htm Chipset Software — Intel® Smart Response Technology User Guide

You may use the Intel® SSD Toolbox for Intel® SSD products.

You can also run the Secure Erase from Linux* running from a bootable USB drive or live CD/DVD.

GBenz
Beginner

Thanks Joe. My IRST control panel has "Status", "Manage", and "Preferences" buttons but nothing regarding acceleration and no options anywhere. Is is possible that Lenovo has crippled it to prevent users from getting into trouble?

I should mention that my SATA options in BIOS do not include RAID, only AHCI and compatible. The IRST manual only seems to specify that it be set to RAID.

0 Kudos
GBenz
Beginner

I found this thread which describes my problem closely: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/IdeaPad-Y580-and-RapidDrive/td-p/1056545 IdeaPad Y580 and RapidDrive - Lenovo Community . There are a few others.

Could it be that I am not actually running RST, but instead running "Rapid Drive"? If that is the case, according to that thread the only way I can fix this problem is by re-installing the system.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

It is possible your system supports a different acceleration/caching software solution. I recommend asking Lenovo* for the appropriate software your system supports; it may also be listed in their download page for your model.

0 Kudos