Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Repairing Degraded RAID5 on Z390 chipset using Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management

Deaod
Beginner

Hi,

I recently noticed degraded performance of my RAID 5 array (~5MB/s average write speed), probably due to an increase in Reallocated Sector Count on one of the drives (the one that's being shown as degraded).

Deaod_0-1640702213989.pngDeaod_3-1640702423981.pngDeaod_4-1640702500839.png

I encountered this issue before, but was able to restore normal function by repairing the array using the old RST interface.

Since that interface was uninstalled and cant be reinstalled now that driver version 17.11 has been installed, i was wondering how to restore normal operation using the tools available to me.

Regards,
Deaod

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Deaod

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Please allow us to review this inquiry further and we will be posting back as soon as more details are available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Deaod

We can see on the picture where the array is "failed" this means no data or structure is available. Please try the following:

You can try resetting the disk to normal, which will prompt the volume to start rebuilding automatically. But if the read/write data access consistently fails, the disk will likely return to a failed state immediately and you will need to rebuild the volume to another disk.

If a SATA disk is compatible, available, and normal, follow this procedure to rebuild the volume:

1.   Under "Status", click on "Rebuild to another disk".

2.   Select the disk you want to use to rebuild the volume, and then click "Rebuild".

3.   The rebuild operation starts immediately. You can follow the progress by hovering over the notification area icon or by reviewing the volume status under "Status" or "Manage".

4.   Once the operation successfully completed, the array disk and volume status will display as "Normal".

Note:

If there is no available disk present, you will need to power off your computer and connect a new SATA disk that is equal or greater capacity than the failed disk. Once your computer is back up and running you can follow the rebuild procedure described above.

Additionally, if this is no success. you need to recreate the array.

If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Deaod
Beginner

Hi,

I would like to know how to do this: "You can try resetting the disk to normal, which will prompt the volume to start rebuilding automatically." How do i reset the disk to normal using the tools Intel provides (and arent End-Of-Life)?

Regards,
Deaod

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Deaod

Resetting disk to normal (non-RAID) means you need to enter the "CTRL + I" menu and choose the options below:

Press < Ctrl >< I > when prompted to enter the Intel RAID Option ROM utility. Use the up- and down-arrow keys to highlight the RAID volume to be reset and press < SPACE >. to select the disk(s). Press < ENTER > to complete the selection. Press < Y > to confirm the reset.

Intel® Optane Memory and Storage Management tool does not allow to do this procedure. This is using Raid BIOS. The options may vary from one manufacturer to another. Please check with your computer manufacturer (OEM) in case further assistance is required to access the Intel RAID Option ROM utility.

Note: Please remember that users should always perform backups of their information before attempting any step or procedure on any storage device or system.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Deaod

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Deaod

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos