Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID

Replacing disk in a RAID5

bts050
Beginner

I have a RAID5 array that I created with Intel Rapid Storage Technology. I recently started receiving a status of "SMART Event(0)" on one of the drives. My research leads me to believe that the drive has failed and that I will need to replace it. I'm savvy enough to know how to physically replace the disk, but am unsure about the procedures for replacing the disk so that I minimize the risk of losing data. For example, should the disk be replaced with the PC powered down or with it powered up? Are there any configurations that should be reviewed in IRST after replacing the disk?

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello bts050, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

So we can have more details about your system, please provide the following: 

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:  

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   
  • Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).  

2. Provide the System Report for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
bts050
Beginner

1. The Intel SSU report is attached.

2. I don't have that software on my PC, so I am unable to provide the report. When my PC boots, there is a boot screen titled "Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology - Option ROM - 13.2.0.2134". It is on this screen where I see the status message of "Smart Event(0)".

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello bts050,  

Thank you for the information.

It is recommended to swap the drive while the system is completely off, for the next recommended steps, you might want to install the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology driver and utility provided by your system manufacturer (OEM) available here: https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/X99%20Extreme43.1/index.asp#Download 

Then, check if with this utility you are able to rebuild the array after replacing the failed hard drive from the system: 

1. Turn on the system. 
  2. Click Start
  3. Click All Programs
  4. Click Intel
  5. Click Intel® Rapid Storage Technology
  6. Click Rebuild to another disk
  7. Select the replacement hard drive and click Rebuild

If you do not see those options available, please send us a picture of the ROM option. To enter the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology option ROM user interface, press Ctrl-I when prompted during the Power-On Self Test (POST).  

Note: If you are not able to access the ROM by pressing Ctrl-I, check with the OEM for the correct way to access the RAID manage menu.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.  

0 Kudos
bts050
Beginner

Thank you for the recommendation to swap the drive with the system off.

Before I proceed with swapping the drive out, I tried installing the IntelRST driver and utility you linked to but the installation fails and I receive the message "The setup program ended prematurely because of the following error: Fatal error during installation." Is the install only going to work after i swap out the drive, or is there another reason I'm getting that error? I have attached the IntelRST.log file from the failed installation for your reference.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello bts050,   

Thank you for your reply. 

Before you start this process, I forgot to recommend you as well to back up all your data, please keep that in mind. 

Then, you might want to uninstall the Intel® RST and try to reinstall the version provided by the OEM. You may use the troubleshooter tool from Microsoft*. Go to the following Microsoft* Community site for the download posted in the Answer Windows Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter Missing. The following Microsoft* support site has the details, but the download button is not working (use the above site for the download): Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed

Then, try to install the driver provided by the OEM again: https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/X99%20Extreme43.1/index.asp#Download  

After doing that, replace the defective drive and try the following: 

1. Verify that the volume is reported as degraded in the Manage subsection. If you have more than one volume listed in this section, you will need to fix the issues reported one at a time. 
  2. Click ‘Rebuild to another disk’ next to the volume you want to rebuild. 
  3. In the Rebuild Volume dialog, select the disk that will replace the failed disk. Only compatible disks in a normal state will be displayed. Refer to Volume Requirements for more information. 
  4. Click ‘OK’ to confirm. 
  5. The volume starts rebuilding and the page refreshes displaying the progress of the operation. You can use other applications during this time and you will be notified when the process has successfully completed. 

Sebastian M   

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.   

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello bts050,  

Were you able to check the previous post and follow our recommendations? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
bts050
Beginner

Yes, I followed the instructions you provided for the Microsoft troubleshooter utility and Intel RST but still cannot install the Intel RST software. The Microsoft troubleshooter utility did not find any issues, and the Intel RST installation continues to fail with the "fatal error" message. Due to these issues with installing Intel RST, I have not replaced the physical drive yet. Do you have any suggestions for how to proceed from here?

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello bts050, 

Thanks for your reply. 

It is very odd that you are unable to install the OEM driver, you may want to report this to ASRock* to see if they have a different work around. 

Additionally, try following these steps to try reinstalling the driver: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000027232/technologies/intel-rapid-storage-technology-intel-rst.html 

1. Reset the Startup Intel® RST Service 

• On the keyboard, press the Windows R keys together to open a Run box. Then, type services.msc in the box and press Enter. 
  • In the new window, find and right-click on Intel® Rapid Storage Technology. Choose Properties
  • Choose the General tab. Then, set the Startup type to be Automatic and click OK to save the setting. 

2. Update the Intel® RST driver 

Part 1: Uninstalling the current Intel® RST driver 

• Press Windows X keys. 
  • Select Device Manager
  • Find and expand the Disk drives catalog. 
  • Right-click on Intel® Rapid Storage Technology and choose Uninstall device

Note: If you receive an error when trying to uninstall, check that all the Intel® RST services are stopped before trying again. The IAStorUI.exe, IAStorIcon.exe, IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe, iaStorA.sys, relate to the Intel® RST monitor service. 

Part 2: Installing new Intel® RST driver 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
bts050
Beginner

Thank you for the additional suggestions. I will reply again as soon as I am able to try all of them, including anything that Asrock suggests. Stay tuned...

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello bts050,  

Were you able to try the previously suggested steps? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
bts050
Beginner

Hi Sebastian,

The first 2 suggested steps didn't apply to me since I don't have, and can't seem to get, the software installed. I did try to install the latest version of Intel RST but that didn't work. I also tried reaching out to Asrock to see if they could diagnose the issue I'm having with installing Intel RST, but I have not received a single response back from them.

At this point, I'm inclined to think that my only option is to swap out the hard drive and cross my fingers. Unless you have instructions that would apply to the "Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology - Option ROM - 13.2.0.2134" that I used to create the RAID5?

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello bts050,   

Thanks for the update. 

The ROM menu does not offer the option to rebuild a degraded array, the only options this ROM offers is to delete and recreate the array from scratch. 

Have you checked if a drive changed its status inside the ROM? Please provide a photo of the RAID status inside the ROM.  

If you are able to get the Intel® RST utility it is very easy to rebuild the array, but it seems very odd that is not allowing you to install it. You can also try checking with Microsoft* as the Operating System (OS) or a file can be corrupted.  

Regards,   

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos
bts050
Beginner

I'm not sure what you mean by "inside the ROM", but attached is a photo of the main menu after I enter the utility during boot.

I still have not received help from Asrock. I will try to connect with Microsoft as you suggest. 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

That 'utility' is provided in an OpROM (Option ROM) that is 'called' by the BIOS.

Note that, because OpROM-based code cannot 'call' code in other OpROMs - and specifically the OpROM providing the "Video BIOS" for the active graphics engine - it's console output is limited to text-mode only. Bottom line, don't let the fact that you are looking at a text-mode only display make you think this isn't a sophisticated solution. In later, UEFI-based designs, this 'utility' is re-implemented (by the motherboard vendor) within the graphical BIOS Setup program so that it has access to the Video BIOS and can have a graphical display. Alas, not all vendors do it the same way and some do not provide all of the RST capabilities possible.

Hope this helps,

...S

Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello bts050,    

Thank you for your reply.  

At this point, this can be a problem within the OS, you can check with Microsoft* to check if there is a possible solution for this. If not, you may want to consider re-creating the array from scratch, back up all your data, set the disks to non-RAID, recreate the array, and reinstall the OS: 

1. Turn off the computer. 
  2. Replace the failed hard drive with a new drive. 
  3. When prompted during system startup, press Ctrl+I to enter the option ROM user interface. 
  4. Click 3. Reset Disks to Non-RAID
  5. Click 1. Create RAID Volume and follow the prompts to re-create the RAID volume. 
  6. Click 6. Exit

Regards,    

Sebastian M    

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello bts050,  

By any chance do you have an update? Please let me know if you need more assistance or if you have any additional question.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
bts050
Beginner

Hi Sebastian,

It seems like my only option is to back up my data and recreate the array from scratch, so that is what I am doing. Currently in the process of backing up my data, but I have ~8tb and the degraded RAID5 array is extremely slow. At the current rate of transfer, it will take weeks to back up the data. I don't anticipate needing any more assistance unless I run into issues recreating the array. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello bts050,   

Thanks for the update. 

In that case, we will close this inquiry from our side, we hope you can complete this and recreate the RAID. 

If you have any additional questions or if you need further assistance, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Regards,   

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos