Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Reset RAID causes Status: Degraded

NEnni
Novice

1. I had a RAID-1 bootable volume on my Windows 7 system.

2. I entered the RAID BIOS via Ctrl-I at boot time, and RESET the RAID.

3. I then had two identical disks.

4. I repurposed one of the disks into a separate Windows striped volume on the same machine, the second disk in this stripe was attached via the on-board disk controller, not the intel controller. The new stripe works fine, and my single boot disk works fine too.

5. BUT!! The RST application now shows an error pertaining to the original RAID-1 volume: "Status: Degraded. Fix any problems on the array disks, or rebuild the volume to a new disk"

QUESTIONS:

How do I tell the RST application to foget about the original RAID-1 volume?

The app says I have an array (Array_0000) containing a 1TB drive and a 0GB missing drive (with a yelllow exlamation mark).

If I select the "Delete Volume" option, will my boot disk remain intact?
0 Kudos
1 Solution
NEnni
Novice

Ivan

Thanks for your reply.

When I re-entered the boot-up screen via Ctrl-I to get a photo of it, I noticed it thought there was a degraded RAID present, even though I had reset it via this screen previously.

From this I deduced my error:

After resetting the raid last time I had the following:

Intel Controller connected to Disk 0 (SSD Drive) and Disk 1 (WDC HDD)

On-board controller connected to Disk 2 (SSD Drive) and Disk 3 (WDC HDD)

I then combined the two WDC HDD's into a striped volume via the Windows Disk Management Console.

This confused the Intel software which saw that one of the drives on the Intel Controller was in a RAID, but it could not see the other drive (because it was attached to the on-board controller).

I think the solution to the problem (which worked for me) was to not make a RAID array using Windows to combine one drive on the Intel Controller and the other drive on the on-board controller. This will confuse the RST software.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Neilius,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

Would you please attach a picture of the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology where you are seeing this behavior? This is to have a better view of the issue.

Also, I will appreciate if you can attach a picture of the device manager as well.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
NEnni
Novice

Ivan

Thanks for your reply.

When I re-entered the boot-up screen via Ctrl-I to get a photo of it, I noticed it thought there was a degraded RAID present, even though I had reset it via this screen previously.

From this I deduced my error:

After resetting the raid last time I had the following:

Intel Controller connected to Disk 0 (SSD Drive) and Disk 1 (WDC HDD)

On-board controller connected to Disk 2 (SSD Drive) and Disk 3 (WDC HDD)

I then combined the two WDC HDD's into a striped volume via the Windows Disk Management Console.

This confused the Intel software which saw that one of the drives on the Intel Controller was in a RAID, but it could not see the other drive (because it was attached to the on-board controller).

I think the solution to the problem (which worked for me) was to not make a RAID array using Windows to combine one drive on the Intel Controller and the other drive on the on-board controller. This will confuse the RST software.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the information Neilius, so at this moment you're ok with your system or you still have some problem?

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
NEnni
Novice

Problem solved, thanks Ivan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You are more than welcome!

Ivan U.
0 Kudos