Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Retrieve data from failed RAID 1

MFrie7
Beginner

I had two disks in a RAID 1 configuration. I used the CTRL-I to mark one as non-RAID to "borrow" for a new OS install, assuming I could rebuild the array when I got a replacement second drive. However, the RAID array is now marked as "failed" and I have no options either in CTRL-I or RST software for rebuilding to a new drive. I even tried returning the borrowed drive (marked as spare) to the controller but it still gives no option for rebuilding.

When I look through documentation it sounds like there should be options to rebuild the array, but since I do not have those options I am worried that I am missing something. From reading the other posts it sounds like if I mark the other disk as non-RAID then I will get a disk with my data from the original array. However, I have yet to see anyone respond that it worked for them. If I mark the sole remaining drive as non-RAID, will I have a drive containing data or will I simply complete the data loss and have a second unreadable drive?

Attaching images of status details for the failed array, the good disk in the array, the missing disk in the array and the same disk in the system marked as a spare. Note, the Serial Number of the missing disk matches the spare except that in the array the SN cuts off the first "W" and tacks on a ":0" at the end. This is not the case on the good drive in the array.

Using latest version of RST: 15.8.1.1007

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

msf4087: Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology communities. We will do our best in order to assist you with this scenario.

In regard to your inquiry, what we can try is to reset both of the disks to non-RAID in the Ctrl+i menu and then create the RAID 1 volume from scratch. Please follow the steps on the link below from page 30 to 32 in order to do that:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/chipsets/imsm/sb/irst_user_guide.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/chipsets/imsm/sb/irst_user_guide.pdf

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

msf4087: I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos