Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2054 Discussions

SSD-cache (SRT) won't work with big GPT hard drives (HDD), Workaround

mhytt
Beginner

Hello,

I have Z77 chipset in raid mode, Intel Rapid Technology installed but I cannot activate SSD caching for large 8TB hard drive.

Cache SSD: Intel 60GB 520 Series SSD @ 6Gbps Z77 port 0

OS SSD: Intel 180GB 530 Series SSD @ 6Gpbs Z77 port 1

HDD: Seagate 320GB drive @ 3Gbps Z77 port 2

HDD: Seagate 8000GB drive @ 3Gbps Z77 port 3

Smart Response says it is activating caching for HDD but returns to accelerate tab without showing drive is being cached.

If I try with my very old 320GB drive then you can boost it and ssd cache activates on it and returns to accelerate tab showing it is accelerated.

Not any documentation state there is a HDD size limit or drive is the drive GPT or not.

So any magic cmd line tricks to get it work?

Quick computer stats:

- Intel Core i7 2600k

- Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe

- Seagate 8000GB Archive

- Seagate 320GB Barracuda

- Intel 60GB 520 Series

- Windows 7 64bit

- Intel Rapid Storage version 11.1.0.1006

Message was edited by: markku hyttinen added tags, edited title, moved to workarounds category

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello FireFlower,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

Can you please try the following driver?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23496/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver?product=55005 Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver Version: 12.9.0.1001 (Previously Released) Date: 12/12/2013

In case the problem persists please provide a screenshot showing the disk management window.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
mhytt
Beginner

No luck, now it won't even offer 8TB drive to be boosted.

Noticed the drive has been dynamic drive whole time? Is this the issue?

If I need to convert drive to basic drive it will take a while to back up important files from the drive.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello FireFlower,

In regards to the dynamic drive, it could be an issue but before you try converting it to a basic drive, please try leaving at least 50 MB of unallocated space at the end of the 8TB drive and let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello FireFlower,

I was reviewing this thread and I wanted to know if you were able to resolve the issue?

Please don't hesitate in replying to this post if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
mhytt
Beginner

Hello again,

Reformatted drive to be basic and still SRT is not available for the drive.

Took a while to answer because had to make backups of important files first because free partition management softwares cannot handle hdds of this size and paying $40 just for trying seemed to be a bit too much.

So further ideas how to enable SRT for 8TB drive?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi FireFlower,

Did you try leaving the 50MB at the end of the 8TB HDD?

To thomasabowden: please go to the /community/tech Intel Communities main page, select the product you want to ask the question for (i.e.: Rapid Storage Technology), you will find an option to type your question to the left side of the website, then click on "Ask it".

Hope the information helps.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
mhytt
Beginner

Where did that 50MB come from? Anyway above is a post that solved my problem. Hopefully in future newer versions of RST install straight away without tricks.

0 Kudos
TBowd
Beginner

Help! I want to post a new question to the community. This support forum is incredibly complex, but there's no simple button to click for "ask a question." Can anyone tell me how to ask a new question?

0 Kudos
mhytt
Beginner

Alright got it working now!

- The trick is that you do not install Intel RST 15.2 straight away (Hardware not supported error)

1. Install first 12.9 version: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23496/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver Download Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver
  2. Reboot
  3. Install then 15.2 version: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26361/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver?product=67709 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26361/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver?product=67709
  4. You should have 15.2 version of RST now installed in "obsolete" chipset.

Also did some digging with old versions and started from my initial 11.1 version all way up to 15.2

• 11.1: Detects 8TB drive for boosting, unable to do it, won't let you use faulty S.M.A.R.T drive
  • 11.7: Crashes on start-up
  • 12.0: Doesn't detect 8TB drive, won't let you use faulty S.M.A.R.T drive
  • 12.5 Doesn't detect 8TB drive, won't let you use faulty S.M.A.R.T drive
  • 12.8 Doesn't detect 8TB drive, won't let you use faulty S.M.A.R.T drive
  • 12.9 Doesn't detect 8TB drive, won't let you use faulty S.M.A.R.T drive
  • 13.1 .netFramework 4.5 detection problem, cannot install (checked I have all frameworks installed and files are intact)
  • 13.2 .netFramework 4.5 detection problem, cannot install (checked I have all frameworks installed and files are intact)
  • 13.6 .netFramework 4.5 detection problem, cannot install (checked I have all frameworks installed and files are intact)
  • 14.0 Doesn't detect 8TB drive, won't let you use faulty S.M.A.R.T drive
  • 14.8 Doesn't detect 8TB drive, won't let you use faulty S.M.A.R.T drive
  • 15.2 Detects 8TB drive for boosting, able to do it, won't let you use faulty S.M.A.R.T drive
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Hi FireFlower,

Those are excellent news.

Hope this information helps other peers facing the same issue.

Please don't hesitate in contacting us back if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos