Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Samsung 470 SSD 256GB using 1.5 Gbps on 3.0 Gbps capable chipset

idata
Employee

Currently, I am using a Samsung 470 SSD with a laptop, and while it seems to be running OK with Intel RAID Controller (with single drive). When I update to the latest version of Intel RST 10.xx drivers, it seems to drop the auto-negioation link of the SATA interface to 1.5 Gb/s instead of 3.0 Gb/s on this SSD

Is there any way around this issue? It does overall affect the speed of the SSD.

Model name: SAMSUNG 470 Series SSD

Serial# : S0MTNEAZ900569

Firmware: AXM0701Q

RAID Controller: Intel ICH8M-E/ICH9M-E/5 Series SATA RAID Controller using drivers Intel RST 10.1.0.1008

The red bench is version 8.6.2.1012 (Windows default) drivers and the blue is the RST 10.1.0.1008. I've also tried the 9.6 version of RST, performance was identical to 10.1.0.1008.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

After wayyyyyyyyyyyy too much formatting/reinstalling. Uninstalling storage drivers, etc etc. I've finally figured out why it was dropping me to 1.5 Gbps -- seems like that the RST drivers when installed on a laptop it enables a feature to 'power save' -- Link Power Management (LPM)

The fix was to change in the registry

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorV\Par ameters\Port0 (corrosponding port that you are having the problem with. Change the LPM DWORD value to 0, and it'll disable the LPM and put it back into 3.0 Gbps intead of 1.5 Gbps.

Posted for posterity's sake in case anyone ever have this same issue.

Caused me over 24 hours of grief.
0 Kudos