Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Smart Response Technology Cache Disabled

Krassi_D
Beginner

Hello,

I have a Notebook with a 500GB HDD + 24GB SSD-cache. I was not aware that the HDD has an SSD-cache, so I assumed I can unplug the HDD and exchange it with a new SSD.

I plugged in the new SSD instead of HDD and changed the SATA Mode from RAID to IDE to install a new OS (still not wondering myself why the SATA Mode was on Raid in first place and still not being aware of the fact that the Notebook has an SSD-cache).

Later, I plugged in the old HDD via USB adapter and tried to read the data from the old HDD. Here is where I recognized that I cannot see all files (some folder where missing... obviously the most recent one). So I realized I did something stupid.

I plugged in the old HDD into the Notebook tried to boot with SATA Mode on IDE which lead to a bluescreen during startup. Then I changed back the SATA Mode to RAID and tried to boot, but this is not working at all. When I open Option ROM, I get the status as seen in the attached photo.

I did not found a way how to enable the cache device (I'm not sure if this is even possible). I searched the internet for similar issues. I wonder if there is a change to somehow re-enable the cache device or at least restore the data from the cache?

Thank you for your support.

Regards

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @Krassi_D

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please provide the following information?

1- PC/System brand and full model:

2- At any time before (when you had the original configuration working old HDD + SSD-cache) did you load/install any Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) driver? If yes, did you remember the latest version installed?

3- Operating System version:

4- Are you still able to boot with the new SSD?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Krassi_D
Beginner

Hello @AndrewG_Intel

Thank you for your reply.

1 - I have an HP EliteBook 8570w (i7-3630QM CPU)  with Windows7.

2 - Yes it was installed. Unfortunately I don't know the version. I tried to mount the old HDD (which cannot start up) via Ubuntu to access the installation files. I thought I might find a file which would give me a hint which version was installed. In one config file I found the entry <supportedRuntime version = "v2.0.50727"/>. I don't know if this helps you. I tried also to check the registry, but I cannot access the path (I assume it is part of the data that was cached and now it is not readable). Is there any file or installation path, which I can check for the version (as far as I can access it)? As far as I understood, there are two acceleration modes for the Smart Response Technology. I assume my system was enabled in Maximized mode, since in Enhanced mode, I should have no data loss on HDD, right? When I try to boot with the old HDD, I see that the Option ROM has the version 11.0.6.1519.

3 - Windows 7 Professional

4 - Yes, I am able to boot with the new SSD (where I installed Windows 10) . Here I have no Intel® RST driver installed (the device manager does find the controller, but has no driver for it).

Thank you for your support.

BR,

Krassi

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Krassi_D

Thank you very much for the information provided. Please allow us to look into this and we will be posting more details as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Krassi_D

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After checking this further, the best approach will be to start from scratch due to the way things were installed.

Please bear in mind that the system has a 3rd generation processor not compatible with Windows* 10 and if you decide to keep using Windows 10 you need to load Intel® RST driver version 14.8 but we cannot guarantee full functionality.

After changing from RAID to IDE this corrupted Windows registry and every time they change SATA mode a reinstallation of the operating system (OS) is required.

Note:

Intel RST driver version 14.8 can be downloaded from this link: Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) User Interface and Driver Version: 14.8.16.1063. However, before installing this application, the recommendation is first to contact your system manufacturer (OEM). The OEM typically provides software that is specifically configured for your system. Here you can find drivers for HP* EliteBook 8570w Mobile Workstation.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Krassi_D

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Krassi_D

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos