Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2054 Discussions

Smart Response Technology and too-big SSD

ppara5
Valued Contributor I

With respect to Smart Response Technology on a DZ68BC and Sandy Bridge CPU, the instructions imply that a letter should not be assigned to the SSD, but does it matter whether it is formatted?

I would like to use an entire Intel 530 120 GB SSD, but it appears that the maximum for RST is 64 GB. Is there any way to persuade RST to use the entire SSD? If I don't format the SSD, will RST only create one large partition for itself?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Hans_B_Intel
Employee

Hi paramountain,

There is no need to format the SSD before you accelerate it, since The RST will format the drive during the acceleration process. You will be asked if you want to use the full space for a maximum of 64 GB for caching, but you can partition unused space on the SSD and assign it a drive letter.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Hans_B_Intel
Employee

Hi paramountain,

There is no need to format the SSD before you accelerate it, since The RST will format the drive during the acceleration process. You will be asked if you want to use the full space for a maximum of 64 GB for caching, but you can partition unused space on the SSD and assign it a drive letter.

ppara5
Valued Contributor I
0 Kudos
ppara5
Valued Contributor I
0 Kudos
Hans_B_Intel
Employee

Hi paramountain,

ppara5
Valued Contributor I
0 Kudos
ppara5
Valued Contributor I
0 Kudos
SDavi17
Beginner

Hi! Can one also use/split one 128 GB SSD to cache two hard drives or two raid volumes? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
SDavi17
Beginner

Hi! Can one also use/split one 128 GB SSD to cache two hard drives or two raid volumes? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos