Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Switching from HDDs (in RAID) to SSDs: Can I use my current RAID array?

AdamB
Beginner

I have a Dell XPS 8910 with two 1TB HDDs configured in RAID 1. I would like to update my system by replacing the HDDs with two SSDs -- each of which is also 1TB and will be in a RAID 1 configuration.

After I clone my current C:\ drive to the new SSDs, will I need to delete the current RAID configuration and build a new one? Or, should I be able to plug in the new SSDs and the current RAID config will just detect them?

If it matters, I plan to get Crucial MX500 1TB drives.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello AdamB, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. With this process it should not be necessary to clone the hard drive with the operating system, that is if the operating system is installed in one of the drives within the RAID 1. If so, please follow these steps: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005837/technologies/intel-rapid-storage-technology-intel-rst.html Note: Make sure to first backup your important data to avoid any problem. I hope this helps. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
AdamB
Beginner

Thanks for the information, David. I will give it a shot.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello AdamB, Thank you for your response. Perfect, please let me know the outcome. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos