Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Unable to accelerate my drive

muve
Beginner

I have a HDD + mSATA SSD setup on my Asus laptop. I want to enable Intel RST, both drives are already in RAID 0. The first time I try accelerating in enhanced mode, I get the error message, "An error occurred while an operation was in progress. The operation could not be completed." Repeatedly trying it or restarting doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions for troubleshooting? I have version 15.2.16.1060. The latest version doesn't show the accelerate option, so I am resorting to this older version. My system report is attached.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

From your report I can see that in your system you have installed Hitachi HTS541010A7E630 1TB HDD and KINGSTON RBU-SMSM151DS324GG1 24GB mSATA SSD. In order to accelerated your HDD you have to install Intel Optane Memory module in M.2 slot. You should check your laptop specification if you have M.2 available and you nee buy Optane Memory module.

Leon

0 Kudos
muve
Beginner

Hi Leon

As I've mentioned, the later versions of Intel RST seem to drop support for traditional HDd + mSATA SSD acceleration, and require Optane. Hence I used an older version to get it working. I used to have it running earlier, but after I reset my Windows a year back, I didn't bother installing RST, until now.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Leon, this is Intel RST Enterprise (RSTe), not Intel RST. I believe that it still has support for Intel SRT (i.e. caching SATA HDD with all or a portion of a SATA SSD). It is only in Intel RST that Intel SRT was removed in favor of Intel Optane Memory-based acceleration (caching).

@3000022620171.562944801807673E12​, it is unclear to me what you are trying to do. According to the report, you appear to have a HDD that is already being accelerated (cached) using a SSD. Can you send us a capture of the screen in the RST application that shows the status of this accelerated drive?

...S

0 Kudos
muve
Beginner

Hi

Thank you for your reply. Well actually this is a report generated after I clicked the enable acceleration button, and after sometime the process fails. In this period, a new volume is created to use the SSD as a cache, but unfortunately the acceleration is not enabled yet at this point. Retrying the 'Enable acceleration' button just gives me the same error.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Scott,

Thanks for correction. I wasn't aware about this option.

Leon

0 Kudos
muve
Beginner

@n.scott.pearson​  I have attached screenshots of the state of my IRST setup now. The following is the picture of the status page.IRST_Status.PNG

An now the performance tab

IRST_Performance.PNG

0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello 3000022620171.562944801807673E12,

I would like to know if you need further assistance?

If so, please provide the following report:

1. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View. 
  2. To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer. 
  3. Please attach the document to the next post. 

I would like to know if you are trying to use as the cache disk the SATA disk that is not included in the RAID?

And I would like to confirm if that SATA disk (932 GB) contains the operating system?

Best Regards, 

Abigail G 

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation.

0 Kudos
muve
Beginner

Hi Abigail

I have herewith attached the scan results. I have done this scan in my latest status where the SSD has been configured to be the cache device, but acceleration could not be enabled (Refer screenshot above).

I have only two disks, one SSD and one HDD. Both are included in the RAID configuration if I am not mistaken.

Yes, the 932GB HDD contains the OS.

Thank you

Anand

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello 3000022620171.562944801807673E12

Thank you for the details.

There are some important points to take in considerations here:

·        The OS (932GB) can't be used for cash acceleration since it is the system disk.

·        For cache acceleration, you have to use an SSD Disk.

·        The SSD is natively accelerated this means that you can't accelerate an SSD with an SSD since you mention that your RAID has an SSD + an HDD.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
muve
Beginner

Hi Leonardo

I am a bit confused with your reply. I want to make it clear that I wish to use the SSD as the cache to accelerate my HDD. I understand this is the primary function of Intel Smart Response. I neither want to use the HDD as cache, nor do I want to accelerate my SSD, which seem to be counterproductive options.

Perhaps have I selected the drive for Cache and acceleration wrongly (refer snapshots)? Please do let me know. Thanks!

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
muve
Beginner

Can you please clear my query? Thanks!

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

A thought: Intel dropped support for Intel RST when they introduced Optane. If the BIOS being used is new enough that the support for Intel RST is not there, this may be the problem.

...S

0 Kudos