Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Unable to make a RAID - No disks connected to system

fr0zie
Beginner

Hello,

I've got a new configuration with i9 11900K and an AORUS Z590 Pro Ax.

I'm trying to make a RAID 0 with 3 Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb, but they are not showing up in Intel RST menu, it says "No disks connected to system", but the system itself recognize them...

The disks are on slots M2B, M2C and M2P (M2A is a Samsung 970 Evo that is not going to be raided). The one on M2P was recognized by Intel RST, but the two others no.

I tried to remove the one on M2P (and removed the M2A also) like that I've tried with only two M2, but still not showing.

I still have no OS installed, because I was about to raid them for Windows.

What can I do?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DeividA_Intel

Hello fr0zie, 

Based on the research performed, I recommend you contact the motherboard manufacturer since the issue looks to be related to it. You can check for the appropriate steps to perform a RAID from the BIOS or review the warranty options with them.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello fr0zie,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

I would like to let you know that based on the pictures provided, the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) tab/panel looks fine (nothing unusual). However, this issue seems related to a configuration/setting/option at the BIOS that may not be set correctly or you need to enable and my recommendation would be to get in contact with the motherboard manufacturer to confirm if the BIOS settings are correctly set or if need a specific configuration.

Also, if you want to try, you can install in one of your NVME M.2 the operating system and from the Intel® RST tool try to create a RAID 0 with the other 2 NVME M.2 drives just a test. If you want to try with the 3 of them, use a different storage device with the operating system and do the same, just make sure that:

1. You are not using the drive with the operating system installed to create the RAID.

2. You are using only NVME M.2 to create the RAID, do not mix SATA SSD with MVME M.2 because it may not work since they use different technologies.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
fr0zie
Beginner

Hello,

I've also contacted the Gigabyte support and waiting for their response.

By the way, I can't even try to create a RAID in Windows because Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management doesn't even see my SSDs (see screenshot).

If I activate Intel RST in BIOS, Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management only sees the one connected on port M2P, as the BIOS does.

I've tried with volumes allocated/unallocated, with/without drive letter/path.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello fr0zie, 

Thanks for the information provided, In order to check further (and while Gigabyte responds) I will appreciate it if you help me with the following:

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

· Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer:  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

· Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

· To save your scan, click Next and click Save.  

2. Provide the Report for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST):

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
fr0zie
Beginner

Hello,

Here's the report from SSU.

And I don't have any "Help" icon in the RST UI (see screenshot).

Best regards

0 Kudos
fr0zie
Beginner

Edit: The screenshot is not from Intel RST but Intel Optane Memory and Store Management. But it seems like I cannot install RST (see screenshot).

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Do you actually have RAID or Optane selected in the BIOS? If not, you need to. This error message is used as a placeholder for a bunch of issues; in the installer you may not really have an unsupported platform.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
fr0zie
Beginner

Hello,

I was in Intel RST but switched to AHCI for now because I was unable to do anything anyway.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello fr0zi, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello fr0zi, 

In order to help further, can you confirm the following:

- Do you the same problem after changing SATA mode from AHCI to RAID mode?

Bear in mind that you will need to reinstall the operating system if change SATA modes.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
fr0zie
Beginner

Hello,

Yes, same problem in both AHCI and RST.

And whenever I change from AHCI to RST and vice versa, I am still able to start Windows, so I guess the motherboard is defective.

Best regards

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello fr0zie, 

Thanks for the update.

With this information, I will proceed to continue with the research and I will post back as soon as I have any update.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello fr0zie, 

Based on the research performed, I recommend you contact the motherboard manufacturer since the issue looks to be related to it. You can check for the appropriate steps to perform a RAID from the BIOS or review the warranty options with them.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
fr0zie
Beginner

Hello,

I'm also in contact with them but it seems like there's no way out, so I'll directly contact the supplier for a motherboard replacement.

Thanks for the help though.

Best regards

0 Kudos
ivanrus
Beginner

turn off intagrated sata controller

0 Kudos