Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2046 Discussions

VROC: Hyper M.2 Asus with 970 Evo x3

CBeic
Beginner

I successfully mounted a RAID 0 of 3x 970 Samsung evo drives on x299. Got 9k read and more. If i buy a Key to enhance the demo period of 90 days. Can i advance to use this array of drives and keep data? Which key do i need to advance?

kind regards

Chris

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello cbeichel.

Thank you for having contacted Intel® Technical Support.

To answer your questions:

"Can I advance to use this array of drives and keep data? Which key do I need to advance?"

Based on the "https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/virtual-raid-on-cpu-vroc-product-brief.pdf Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel® VROC) Product Brief" the SKUs available are the following:

Intel VROC Standard: RAID 0/1//10; 3rd Party SSD Support

Intel VROC Premium: RAID 0/1/5/10; 3rd Party SSD Support

Intel VROC Intel SSD Only: RAID 0/1/5/10; No 3rd Party SSD Support

As per the description of your current configuration seems to be that the option that fits your needs is the "Intel VROC Standard: RAID 0/1//10; 3rd Party SSD Support" and we advise you to contact your motherboard manufacturer in order to check the recommended steps on how to set up the VROC activation key in your system and activate VROC without any data lost (before doing any change on your system configuration we recommend to do a backup of your information).

Please take into consideration that the usage of the Hyper M.2 has not been tested or validated by Intel® in a VROC environment and we do not know how this will behave in the future.

We advise you to check the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000030310/memory-and-storage/ssd-software.html Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel® VROC) Supported Configurations since the 970 Samsung evo drives are not listed as a supported hardware.

We hope you find this information useful.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
CBeic
Beginner

If i got you right, you are telling me that:

• in the trial period of 90 days i can use each type of ssd (even not compatible one, because its working right now)
  • after the trial period i only can use that couple of compatible ssd in your paper (the intel ssds are not even listed, because you dont even know which work?)
  • and if i read other threads not even the newer intel ssd's like 7600p are supported by VROC?
    • which intel ssd's are supported then?
  • even with a 250€ key i am limited to slow ssd's?

Further Questions:

• are there plans to enhance the supported ssd's like 7600p?
  • will you support all nvme ssd's without limitations in the future?
  • if i buy a key enabeling 3rd party ssd will it unlock really all 3rd party ssd's in the future?

Confused

I am asking myself the question if i had the knowledge before buying x299, would i buy that VROC Feature with hidden costs and less ssds? AMD has released nvme RAID out of stock on mainboards without ssd limitations and RAID 0 without extra costs? Why not sell I9 7900 and buy 2950x...

Marketing Slogans like the following made me to buy that intel chipset thing (no one was telling about trials, limitations and extra costs, i am really pissed of by intel):

"Unleash the Virtual RAID on CPU (VROC) feature with the addition of an ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 Card, which allows you to attach up to four PCIe® 3.0 x16 M.2 drives — for a total bandwidth of up to 128Gbps. With VROC, you can utilize CPU PCIe lanes to configure a bootable RAID array, eliminating traditional DMI bottlenecks, so that storage transfers aren't held back by other traffic."

kind regards

chris

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello cbeichel.

Thank you for your reply.

To answer your questions:

· in the trial period of 90 days I can use each type of SSD (even not compatible one, because of its working right now)

Take into consideration that the use of any hardware that is not listed on the support list is going to be under your own responsibility since is not tested, validated or supported by Intel.

· after the trial period I only can use that couple of compatible SSD in your paper (the intel ssds are not even listed because you don't even know which work?)

The reason for us to publish this list, is for the customers to know beforehand which are the validated devices, customers should always use the tested and validated hardware; the usage of any hardware that is not listed on the support list is going to be under your own responsibility since is not tested, validated or supported by Intel.

The https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000030310/memory-and-storage/ssd-software.html Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel® VROC) Supported Configurations includes all the supported hardware including the Intel® SSDs.

All Intel® SSDs for Data Center with NVMe* (including but not limited to):

Intel® SSD DC P3100 Series

Intel® SSD DC P3500 Series

Intel® SSD DC P3520 Series

Intel® SSD DC P3600 Series

Intel® SSD DC P3608 Series

Intel® SSD DC P3700 Series

Intel® SSD DC P4500 Series

Intel® SSD DC P4501 Series

Intel® SSD DC P4510 Series

Intel® SSD DC P4511 Series

Intel® SSD DC P4600 Series

Intel® SSD DC P4610 Series

Intel® Optane™ SSD DC P4800X Series

All Intel® Professional NVMe SSDs:

Intel® SSD Pro 7600p Series

Intel® SSD Pro 6000p Series

Other select Intel® SSD Series:

Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P Series

Intel® Optane™ SSD 905P Series

· and if i read other threads not even the newer intel ssd's like 7600p are supported by VROC?

All Intel® Professional NVMe SSDs seems to be supported based on the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000030310/memory-and-storage/ssd-software.html Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel® VROC) Supported Configurations

· which intel ssd's are supported then?

All Intel® SSDs for Data Center with NVMe* and All Intel® Professional NVMe SSDs all of them listed in the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000030310/memory-and-storage/ssd-software.html Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel® VROC) Supported Configurations

· even with a 250€ key i am limited to slow ssd's?

You need to check with your motherboard manufacturer for the list of hardware that they have validated as mentioned on the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000030310/memory-and-storage/ssd-software.html Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel® VROC) Supported Configurations "If any of this information conflicts with the support information provided by a platform OEM or ODM, the platform documentation and configurations should take precedent."

· are there plans to enhance the supported ssd's like 7600p?

The Intel® SSD Pro 7600p Series is listed as supported.

· will you support all nvme ssd's without limitations in the future?

We cannot discuss unreleased updated of our products as per this moment we recommend you to check with your OEM for the list of validated and tested hardware supported by them and to take into consideration the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000030310/memory-and-storage/ssd-software.html Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel® VROC) Supported Configurations

· if i buy a key enabeling 3rd party ssd will it unlock really all 3rd party ssd's in the future?

This key will let you use the "Third Party Vendor SSDs" listed in the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000030310/memory-and-storage/ssd-software.html Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel® VROC) Supported Configurations and the ones that your OEM have validated from their side.

If the advertisement/Slogan that you are making reference to is from a third party product or the manufacturer of your motherboard we recommend you to contact them and to provide them with your feedback.

We hope you find this information useful.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, cbeichel,

Thank you for having contacted Intel Technical Support.

We have not heard from you since our last communication and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case?

Important note: Should further assistance or clarification be required, we will greatly appreciate if you reply to this post instead of writing a new one unless your inquiry is completely unrelated. This way we will prevent generating a duplicate post and we will not lose the train of thought.

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support.
0 Kudos