Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Verification and repair in progress - how to find more info

turnoffdpst
Beginner

Hey there, my array has been emailing me that it is verifying and repairing the array all last week. Not every day, but most days. 

There does not seem to be any log file, where i could find out exactly what is going on.

How can i determine which physical disk in a raid 1 array is the one that is needing to be repaired? 

The email does not say. All drives appear to be fine and health, but obviously one is failing nessecitating a constant repair and verification to get it back in line.

Is there any way to determine which disk is the problematic one? I have tried to use a third party tool (HD TUNE) to scan the smart attributes on the drive, but because both drives are in an array, HD tune cant really read those properties from the underlying drives.

Anyone else know how to view the smart info from their drives contained in the array, or know how to turn on logging, or know how to identify the failing drive?

The contents of the email is attached below and you can see there is NO info at all that is useful. Annoying

been happening every day since the 8th. Nothing in the windows event log either from the times where this occurs. Just an event in the application log saying "verification and compare complete"

the machine is rebooted nightly and it seems this occurs whenever it is rebooted.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
IntelSupport

turnoffdpst, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Just to let you know, we always recommend that before trying any troubleshooting steps suggested, to back up all the important information you might have on your system.

Now, as you mentioned, the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology controller will let you know that there are some problems with one of the hard drives but it will not mention which is that specific drive. In order to confirm those details, you will need to break up the RAID Volume and then to get in contact with the manufacturer of the computer directly for them to provide or suggest a Diagnostic Tool that will be able to read not the volume but the structure of the hard drive to find out which is the one defective. You can also check with them to verify and confirm if they have reports from other users about this same scenario and a possible solution or tool to diagnose the hard drives.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
turnoffdpst
Beginner

no offence, but that is garbage! are you kidding me? there is no log file to figure out WHY the intel program is making this decision? Break the raid and test each drive? my god...

why dont i just let it fail then and then i'll know which drive it is /s

its a similar level of ridiculousness as what you are proposing. But just WOW... i am so glad i pay for real raid controllers where they need to be actually accountable..... for all i know its just a driver problem. because i know nothing, because there is no log. Cant believe it!

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello turnoffdpst, Thank you very much for your response.

We apologize for any inconvenience, but the Intel® RST tool will not able to identify which is the hard drive that has the problem.

Still, we recommend to get in contact directly with the manufacturer of the computer or hard drives to get a diagnostic tool and run it to identify which is the hard drive with the issue.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos