Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Weekly my desktop loses the Raid 1 group

SLame2
Beginner

It is now occurring almost weekly (to the day). I boot my computer and my Raid 1 group (2 - 4 TB (3.6) drives) is basically missing. Going into the Intel Rapid Store shows these drives are locked. If I remove one of the drives from the mother board and boot, it then sees the one. I then shut off and reconnect the other drive and then it boots (and rebuilds the volume). I do multiple power cycles during the week with no issue. The only recent change I made as adding another SSD to my system. I only have 3 external drives (2 in the RAID and one SSD) in addition to my on board. Thoughts?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

SLame2, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to this scenario, based on the fact that you need to physically remove the driver and reconnect it for the RAID 1 configuration to work properly, it indicates that this problem is related to hardware, it is associated to the SATA controller in your platform.

So, the best thing to do in this case will be to get in contact directly with the manufacturer of the computer for them to provide additional suggestions and further assistance on this matter.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
SLame2
Beginner

Sorry if I misspoke.. I don't have to remove the driver.. I simply unplug both sata cables, reboot, plug one back in, reboot - it see the volume as degraded, shut down, plug other back in, reboot, then it sees other drive and starts rebuilding.

I should note that this only happened after installing another ssd drive into the mix.. It's like the mobo can't handle the onboard msata (primary booth shows as location 05), the two drives for the raid (currently in 02 and 03,but doesn't seem to matter. Position 00 is a blue sata connector that says its reserved for the boot drive. Position 01 is a white connector suggested use is for optical drive.

This is a dell 8700 that I put the mobo into a new case.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

SLame2, Thank you very much for providing that information.

Just to confirm, is this the model of your computer?

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/xps-8700/docs

What is the model of the Intel® Processor?

What is the model of the SSD and the 2 HDDs?

What is the model of the memory RAM? Please provide the number of sticks, speed and voltage.

Which is the Windows* version that is currently installed?

Are there any errors showing when the problem happens?

What is the model and wattage of the power supply?

Are the fans working properly to avoid overheating?

Are you using a video card?

Are you using an optical drive?

What is the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology version currently installed on your platform?

Please provide the SSU report:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

And the RAID report:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html

To attach the report, once you choose "reply" select the "clip" icon on the lower left corner.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
SLame2
Beginner

I will provide an update once it fails, but here is the base information you requested:

Yes, That is the correct model. I have it in a new enclosure, but yes.

Processor: i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz

On Board m.2 Memory - Samsung SSD 860 EVO mSATA 500 GB (boot drive):

2 Spinning HDD: WDC WD4005FZBX-00K5WB0 (identical)

New SSD: Samsung SSD 860 PRO 512 GB

Memory: 24.0GB RAM - 2 - 4GB PC3-12800 DDR3 K531R8-ETF (rows 0,2), 2 - 8GB PC3-12800 DDR3 K66GKY-HYA (rows 1,3) (sticks/speed/voltage)

Windows: Windows 10, 1909

Error: No Actual Error per se. It happens when I boot the machine - doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason. I power off after most uses. I have not seem it happen within a given session. Basically I boot the machine and by the time it gets into windows my 'D' drive is missing - which is the RAID array. During boot sequence when it normally shows the RAID setup, I see the other two drives, but these two (where it would normally say RAID Member) are simply missing. If I got into the disk management - missing. If I got into the Intel Management console - I see: _______________

Power Supply: SHould be more than enough - we upgraded when going to a different case.

Fans: I have more than enough fans including a liquid cooled one for the processor (one reason for going to a bigger case). Also this happens when I booth up after being off for some time, so I don't believe heat is involved.

Video Card: AMD Radeon R9 270

Optical Drive: No, None connected

Intel Rapid Store: Latest Version (I even upgraded after the very first time this happened): Intel Rapid Store Technology 17.7.0.1006

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

SLame2, Thank you very much for letting us know those details.

Perfect, excellent, no problem at all, once you get the chance, once it fails, please let us know and please provide the SSU and RAID report.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello SLame2, I just wanted to check if the problem persists and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
SLame2
Beginner
It has not happened again thankfully Fingers crossed that maybe it won't do it again. However it only used to happen once a week. Thanks for checking in.
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi SLame2, Thank you very much for sharing those updates.

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that it has not happened again and the RAID 1 configuration is now working properly. Hopefully, it will work just fine from now on, if by any chance the problem comes back please let us know so we can further assist you.

Any questions, please let us know.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi SLame2, I just wanted to check if the RAID configuration is still working properly and if you need further assistance on this topic?

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
SLame2
Beginner
Working great as of now.. Thanks for your willingness to help. Crossing fingers that the drives are now in order and no more issues. I've even purposely rebooted multiple times.
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

SLame2, Thank you very much for providing that information.

Perfect, that is great to hear, yes, as you mentioned, it seems that the drives are now in order and hopefully there will be no more issues.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
SLame2
Beginner
Well - here I am again. After just over 3 months of no issues, they are back. I booted my computer and either one or both of the hard drives were showing up as 'locked'. Through some creative unplugging and replugging in of the sata drives to the motherboard I was able to get them to show up and start synchronization of the volume. (that was last night). Today I returned to the computer and it had gone to sleep - and now they are both locked. Any suggestions on how to continue from here? Thank You
0 Kudos
SLame2
Beginner

I am at the point where no combination of unplugging or re-plugging will bring it back. How can I recover the data from these 2 drives? I am set to Raid 1 and feel like I am completely stuck.

0 Kudos
SLame2
Beginner

Uploading SSU Report

0 Kudos
SLame2
Beginner

Uploading System Report

0 Kudos