Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

What is the latest version of RST compatible with Z77 and Windows 10

Fred7777
Novice

Hi

What is the latest RST driver compatible with my system (Intel Z77, MSI Z77A-G43, Windows 10 64)?

I am also using RAID1 and Smart Response. I also have an Intel NVMe SSD.

I tried installing version 18.0.1.1138. It worked but the Intel Optane application GUI that came with it didn't seem to have an option to configure Smart Response (such as changing the cache mode between Enhanced and Maximized). I was able to view all settings, but not change anything (except perhaps change my RAID settings but I didn't want to lose my data).

I tried installing previous versions such as 16 but there was always an error saying that I can't downgrade the driver.

I was finally able to install version 12.8.0.1016 from MSI's web site. But it is quite old (2013) and according to their web site, only compatible with Windows 8.1.

According to Wikipedia, version v13.6.0.1002 is the latest one to support 7-series chipsets. I tried to install it but it complains I don't have .NET 4.5 (which should be included with Windows 10 according to Microsoft).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Rapid_Storage_Technology

So which one do I pick? Thanks.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Fred7777, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

The latest Intel® RST version compatible with 7 series chipsets is the 14.8.16.1063: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26759/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=55005  

You can check the Readme file in the above link. This is also the latest version with support for Intel® Smart Response Technology (Intel® SRT). 

Please be aware that most of the Z77 chipsets are not compatible with Windows 10. For instance, your motherboard does not include Intel® RST drivers for this Operating System (OS), and it is always recommended to use the system manufacturer (OEM) drivers. You may want to check with MSI* for compatibility. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So, before anything else, 

1. When Intel introduced support for Intel Optane Modules, which similarly use a high-speed cache to accelerate hard drive performance, they flat-out dropped support for Intel Smart Response Technology (SRT). Bottom line, you do not want to be using any version of Intel RST that supports Intel Optane Modules as they are mutually-exclusive.
  2. In later versions of Intel RST, the standard RST GUI was deprecated in favor of a Modern UI app that is separately installed from the MS App Store. This separation of drivers and UI is something that Microsoft is pushing as part of the Windows DCH (Declarative Componentized Hardware supported apps) Driver model what works with MS' Universal Windows Platform (UWP) model.

Ok, so what should you do? As a general rule, you should always use the version of the Intel RST packages that goes with your Intel RST firmware. This is typically made available to you by your motherboard vendor. With this version, you will use the original Intel RST GUI that is installed along with the Windows drivers.

You can - and some will say should - use the later versions of Intel RST with full Windows 10 support that still predate the introduction of Intel Optane support. I was surprised to see you say .NET 4.5; I thought I remembered them requiring .NET 3.5 and that it automatically invoked the updated to have this version downloaded and installed.

Hope this helps,

...S

Fred7777
Novice
0 Kudos
Fred7777
Novice
And is there any version of the modern app which supports smart response on z77?
0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Fred7777, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

The latest Intel® RST version compatible with 7 series chipsets is the 14.8.16.1063: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26759/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=55005  

You can check the Readme file in the above link. This is also the latest version with support for Intel® Smart Response Technology (Intel® SRT). 

Please be aware that most of the Z77 chipsets are not compatible with Windows 10. For instance, your motherboard does not include Intel® RST drivers for this Operating System (OS), and it is always recommended to use the system manufacturer (OEM) drivers. You may want to check with MSI* for compatibility. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Fred7777
Novice

thanks, I installed it.

I'm not relying on MSI, just like most motherboard vendors, they stop posting new drivers quickly.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Fred7777,  

Thank you for your reply. 

As the thread was marked as solved, we will proceed to close it. If you need further help, please submit a new question as this one will no longer be monitored.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Chilli
Beginner

Before you close the tread:
I agree - according the readme.txt 14.8.16.106 supports 7series chipset. So far the theory.

I tried it on ASRock Z77 and got an error message that the motherboard is not supported.

Before you start with Z77 vs. Win10 assumptions:
After that I tried 11.7.0.1013 and it installed w/o complaints.

I would see a chance that your answer is based on the readme file but not correct.

Regards

Chilli

0 Kudos