Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Why can RST only use 64gb ?

idata
Employee

I have a 119gb ssd drive, but RST will only allow me to allocate 64gb to the raid0 i'm accelerating. Is RST reading the drive wrongly or is this a limitation of RST ?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello nicolaj:

In order to better assist you we just need to verify a few details.

For the RAID 0, how many hard drives are you using?

Do you know the size of each hard drive?

What is the model of the board?

What is the model processor?

If this is a laptop what is the model of the laptop?

Which Windows version are you using?

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I fail to see what any of that has to do with limitations of RST. How would my cpu, motherboard or harddrives tell RST to only allow 64gb cache?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello nicolaj:

The reason why we need that information is because we need to know the system configuration that you are using, we need to make sure what type of products you have so we can identify the reason why RST allows to use only 64GB for the RAID, the way the RST works is related to that specially with the chipset and hard drives or SSD's, so we need to get as much information as possible about your system, this is in order to try to provide the most accurate resolution for this issue, we also need to know:

Which Windows version are you using?

Which RST version are you using?

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I still don't see it.

But sure, here you go.

RST 13.1.0.1058

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello nicolaj:

Thank you very much for providing all those details, that information is very important to us because now we have a detailed description of the system and components that you are using.

Based on that, for the RAID volume you should be able to use a size higher than 64GB with no problem, there should not be a restriction to do that based on the size of your hard drives and SSD's.

Now, when it comes to accelerating the RAID, the technology used to do that is the Intel® SMART Response Technology and it will use up to 64GB of space on the SSD for acceleration, this is a limitation of the technology, so in this regard there is nothing wrong with the RAID volume or Intel® RST.

You can confirm that information on the following link:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005501.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005501.html

Let me apologize for any type of inconvenience and I hope this information answered your inquiry.

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

This is not true. On the Surface Studio that I received recently, the Intel RST is configured to use the full 128GB SSD as cache. See the following -

Unfortunately, when I disabled the cache drive and tried to re-enable it, it would not let me use the full SSD as cache drive (only up to 64GB)

Now I can only use half of my SSD as cache (see below) - this makes me nuts!

Please, Intel or Microsoft, I was really upset with this, I really need my system back into default to use the full 128 GB SSD as cache, like when it was shipped. Also, Intel should release the software update ASAP (whatever they have done with Microsoft to enable 128GB caching).

(Sorry I was just upset because half of my SSD caching was gone and Intel definitely has the technology ready but it is just not available for the public).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You're contradicting your self. At one point you're saying "you should be able to use a size higher than 64GB with no problem"and at another point you're saying "and it will use up to 64GB of space on the SSD for acceleration, this is a limitation of the technology"

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello nicolaj:

Let me apologize for any misunderstanding.

When I said that "you should be able to use a size higher than 64GB with no problem" I was referring to the size of the RAID that is different from the concept of acceleration, like for example the size of your RAID 0 could be higher than 64GB and that should not be a problem.

But when it comes to try to accelerate the RAID using an SSD to do that there is a limitation of the technology, which means that even though the SSD size is 119 GB, the IRST will only use 64 GB of the total size for acceleration.

To wataru1:

On the pictures you shared you can see that there is a message stating that the valid size for acceleration must be between 14.9 GB to 64 GB, because that will be the full disk capacity detected by IRST.

Now, if your laptop had a different configuration before, remember that the manufacturers have the option to customized their products, so, in this specific case the best thing to do will be to get in contact with Microsoft® so they can let you know if there is a setting or any other work around to use a size higher than 64GB to accelerate the RAID, according to our information that is not possible.

Microsoft's phone number: 1 800-642-7676

Microsoft's support site: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us https://support.microsoft.com/en-us

Once again I apologize for the confusion.

Any questions or if you need further information about this matter, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well, i did say "allocate 64gb to the raid0 i'm accelerating" so i assumed you were on the same page.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello nicolaj:

Yes you did, we are here to assist you the best way we can and I just wanted to make sure that the most accurate and complete information was provided in regard to the RAID configuration you are using.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

But i didn't have a question about my raid config. The raid config had no relevance to the question.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello nicolaj:

I understand, I just wanted to give you general information about the RAID configuration, just to let you know further details about the application and to be clear why for acceleration you cannot use a size higher than 64GB even if the size of the SSD is bigger.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos