Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Will 5th/6th generation devices get a driver update, so we can upgrade to Windows 10 1903?

mossj32
Beginner

I would like to upgrade to Windows 10 1903, but unfortunately, it seems my generation of Intel hardware isn't supported in the latest drivers, which is incredibly frustrating. If any Intel staff reads this, please consider supporting this hardware in the next driver update. While it's somewhat old, it's more than capable of running Windows 10 and still holds it's own against modern chipsets.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What hardware are you specifically referring to? My 4th, 5th and 6th gen NUCs all upgraded to 1903 without incident.

...S

0 Kudos
mossj32
Beginner

z87 chipset. Specifically a z87 Sabertooth motherboard.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Z87 is a chipset and is, for the most part, covered automatically by drivers built into Windows. Certain features, like Intel RST and the Ethernet MAC, if used, are covered by separate driver and software packages - but these are also fully covered in 1903 (though, in some cases, you may need to do a reinstall after upgrading).

Beyond that, there is the possibility that your Ethernet PHY, which is provided separately on the motherboard, is on the list of PHY devices for which Intel has terminated support for -- but this shouldn't be the case, not unless your motherboard vendor failed to use the latest available at the time. There is also the chance of issues with other components -- audio, wireless, SIO, etc. -- that the vendor chose to use on their motherboard, but this is not within the purview of Intel.

So, all that said, what specific features are you having problems with?

...S

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello mossj32,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

I agree with the information shared by n.scott.pearson. This information is accurate.

What I can do for you is to document your feedback so that it can be reviewed by the proper Intel group. It is worth mentioning that we cannot guarantee that the latest Intel® RST drivers will support the Intel® Z87 Chipset in Windows* 10 for future releases.

Please let us know if you have additional inquiries.

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello mossj32,

If you need further assistance or have additional inquiries, please let us know. We will be glad to assist you.

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello mossj32,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Andrew G.

0 Kudos