Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Win10 Pro Raid 1+0 Write Back Crash with Intel RST

LMand1
Novice

Greetings! About 6 months ago my previous Windows 10 Rig ran into issues when I had Write Back enabled on my raid 10 array using Intel's RST, during heavy download traffic, or any download above 5 megabits my system would hang and become unresponsive. Consequently, that unit was built around a problematic Asus Maximus 7 Formula motherboard. I was able to remedy the issue on that rig by simply not using write back. Given that motherboard was flaky I RMA'ed it to ASUS but have since built a brand new rig with an MSI X299 Gaming Pro AC motherboard and migrated my previous data from the old raid to a new Raid 10. I'm also booting off a Samsung 960 EVO. The build has gone smoothly until, on the new unit I enabled Write Back on the Raid array as well. The exact same symptoms have arrived. During heavy downloading with any of the 3 LAN devices, or any externally controlled USB Lan Adapter the system will become unresponsive. I'm using a complete different set of hardware and Windows 10 Pro was a clean install on the new build. I'm at a total loss as to why this would be occurring. Anecdotally I can't remember which Windows 10 build I was running on the previous system when I noticed that it was working ok, then went to not working properly. Additionally, the previous unit was an upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro. After the initial upgrade the RAID behaved beautifully with Write Back enabled for about 12 months until it didn't about 6 months ago.

Thank You in advance for any assistance anyone can render.

PS: Running Intel RST 15.9.0.1015 with this hardware:

MSI X299 Xpower Gaming AC

i7 7820X

Corsair H100i V2

4 x 8GB G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 4400

500gb Samsung 960 Evo NVME (Boot Drive/OS)

4 x 6TB WD Black in Raid 1+0 (Majority Program, Data and User Profile storage)

Corsair AX 1200i PSU

Nvidia GeForce Titan (1st gen)

(nothing is overclocked)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Landomatic,

I was reading your thread and I understand that you are having issues (Write Back Crash) with Intel RST. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience that this might cause.

In order to help you better I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have in the computer. Please attach to this thread the .txt file the Intel System Support Utility will generate https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

To attach a file, you must click •Use Advanced Editor" on the upper right hand corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear on the bottom right hand corner of the response box.

(You may need to copy and paste the links provided into a separate tab in case that you have issues when clicking on them)

As well, I will need to get the report generated by RST with the following instructions:

Open the Intel Rapid Storage Technology user interface (Start > Programs > Intel > Intel® Rapid Storage Technology).

Click the Help icon.

Click the System Report icon.

To save a system report, follow these steps:

Open the Intel Rapid Storage Technology user interface (Start > Programs > Intel > Intel® Rapid Storage Technology).

Click the Help icon.

Click the System Report icon.

Click Save.

Please attach it so we can take a look to it.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

LMand1
Novice

Thanks for taking a look at this. I've included the requested file as well as a DXDiagnostic.

idata
Employee

Hello Landomatic,

Thank you so much for your answer.

Al the information provided was extremely helpful.

I will take a look to the reports and as well we will try to replicate your issue in a minor scale in order to look for the root of the problem.

This may delay our answers between 24 to 48 hours so I will reach you out as soon as we have an update.

Thank you for your patience in advanced,

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
LMand1
Novice

Thanks for looking into this Diego. I was just wondering if you had any sort of status update or any additional questions for me.

Best,

Lando

0 Kudos
LMand1
Novice

It seems I'm not alone in this issue. Found this over at Dell:

https://www.dell.com/community/PowerEdge-HDD-SCSI-RAID/Massive-problem-with-Intel-RST-Raid-1-PowerEdge-T30/m-p/5166153# M47570 Solved: RE: Massive problem with Intel RST Raid 1 // Power... - Dell Community

0 Kudos
LMand1
Novice

Hello Diego! I couldn't help but notice it's been over a month since starting here with this issue. Is there any update?

Best,

Landon

LMand1
Novice

Still waiting on help. What's going on over there?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Landomatic,

Thank you for your patience.

I escalated the case to higher management and it was sent to me few hours ago, I do apologize for the long waiting.

In this case, please go ahead and try the latest drivers found here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/55005/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/55005/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-

Best regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Landomatic,

I was checking your case, and I just wanted to know if there is anything else that we can do for you at this time.

Please do not hesitate on replying back if you need more assistance.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
LMand1
Novice

Thanks Diego, I'll take a look. Were you or the escalated higher management able to gleen anything useful from the information I provided some time ago?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Landomatic

Thank your response.

In this we are actually waiting for the outcome of the new drivers that we sent for you to test, depending on the results we will send the case again to the escalated team for further review.

Best regards.

Diego S.

0 Kudos
LMand1
Novice

So far I've had the drivers in production with write back enabled on my main office PC for about a 5 days now. I can report I've tested heavy download and file operations with no issue. It looks like this driver set may have remedied the problem with RAID10. I will let you know next week as well.

Best,

Landon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Landomatic

We just wanted to double check if you still need further assistance.

Please do not hesitate on contacting us back.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos