Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2056 Discussions

Windows 10, H57 chipset, RAID 1 (C:) boot disk

idata
Employee

Hello,

Currently my PC has Windows 10 Professional (32-bit). The motherboard has the H57 intel chipset. I am using the intel RAID feature and the boot disk (C:) is a RAID with 2 identical disk. I am using RST version 14.8.0.1042. This combination is not supported but has been working for sometime. One issue I have that may be associated to some RST bug is that renaiming a directory sometimes makes file explorer to hang. I would like to change to a supported configuration but if possible I would like:

- To keep Windows 10

- Not to reinstall Windows/applications or perform a backup/restore

- To keep a RAID 1 (C:) boot disk

These is what I thinking that may work but since never have done I am not sure, and that is what I am checking here:

1) Break the intel RAID 1 (from motherboad bios menu). Though the function says I will lose the data I read somewhere that it is not really the case and I should continue to be able to boot from disk 1 without any problem after this.

2) Uninstall RST software. I am still keeping the motherboard configuration of SATA as RAID (rather than AHCI) but my understanding is that since at this point I don't have a raid volume I don't need the Intel RST sofware.

3) Change the boot disk from Basic to Dynamic

4) Format disk 2 (previously a mirror of disk 1, now a separate independent disk) as dynamic.

6) Use Windows 10 mirroring to mirror disk 1 to disk 2 (now using Windows mirroring rather than Intel RAID/RST).

Should this work or I am missing something?

Thanks,

RV

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello RafaelV,

Just like you mentioned before your chipset model does not support Windows® 10, I will do my best in order to help you but this fact may end up being the main factor of your issue.

1. You can break the RAID, since your configuration is RAID 1 you should not lose data.
  2. You can uninstall that version; however, bear in mind that this chipset controller does not support Windows® 10 and from our end there are no Intel® RST RAID Drivers.
  3. 4. 5. Are good options, but these will depend on the operating system and the features available for the chipset model.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you Amy. Do you mean that the H57 chipset itself (no matter if I use Intel RAID function/software or not) is not compatible with Windows 10?

I thought that as long as I didn't use the Intel RST RAID Drivers I was Ok.

Regards,

RV

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That is correct, this chipset is not compatible with Windows® 10, the latest supported operating system is Windows 7. The http://ark.intel.com/products/42700/Intel-H57-Express-Chipset Intel® H57 Express Chipset Product Specifications was released back in 2010, it's been 7 years.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/113342 RafaelV, hope the information posted above helped you.

If you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos