Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

XPS 15 9500 iastorac.sys BSOD/Laptop keeps restarting

Fahimul7
Beginner

I've seen quite a few old posts around this but no solutions. I recently added in a Crucial P2 1000GB PCIe M.2 2280SS SSD into my XPS and found that the laptop keeps crashing because of iastorac.sys.

This driver - Intel(R) Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller is causing this. 

I have already reinstalled Windows again, updated all my drivers to the latest version, tried to just use AHCI mode in the BIOS but no luck (as some suggested on the Dell community), also tried to uninstall the driver but Windows will not boot up. I do not have RAID set up. 

. The IRST controller driver is on version - 18.36.3.1019.

Are there any workarounds/solutions to this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok, step-by-step safe method,

1. Use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (download from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10) to recreate your installation media.
  2. Power off PC and remove/disconnect all drives except boot drive.
  3. Ensure BIOS is configured for AHCI and UEFI Boot Only (i.e., to be sure, disable support for CSM and Legacy Boot).
  4. Boot from new installation media without internet access.
  5. When asked what drive/partition to install Windows 10 to, delete *all* partitions on boot drive.
  6. Select unused space entry for drive and continue with installation.
  7. Once Windows completes install and have rebooted successfully at least once, install the base driver set (i.e., do not trust Windows 10 installer, PC vendor's installation support tool or even Intel's Driver & Support Assistant to do this). This includes Chipset Device Software (a.k.a. INF Update), Intel Management Engine (ME) drivers, Audio drivers, graphics drivers, wireless drivers and, if supported by hardware, Thunderbolt drivers and USB-C power delivery drivers.
  8. Reboot with Internet access connected.
  9. Use Vendor's driver installation facility (or Intel's Driver and Support Assistant) to update all other drivers.
  10. Use Windows Update to install all other updates available.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I continue to be frosted by Dell continuing to install RST when it might not be used at all. They are doing their customers a disservice (perhaps to generate support revenue?). They - and you - should only be installing RST if it is absolutely needed for RAID or Optane support. Sure, make the package available for download, but that's it (unless shipping with RAID or Optane in place).

If you are sure that you won't use RAID or Optane, set the SATA Mode parameter to AHCI in BIOS Setup. This can be changed in the future if you end up requiring it, so not an issue.

Since you are installing an NVMe SSD, you also need to ensure that you are installing Windows in UEFI Mode (definitely NOT Legacy Mode). If there is a chance that you have done this incorrectly, during the next attempt, delete *all* partitions on the boot device and then tell the Windows Installer to install to the free/unused space (which should encompass the entire drive at this point).

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Fahimul7
Beginner

Many thanks for the swift reply. That makes sense and I totally agree why RST is even needed when not used at all, ironically my warranty has just run out and wont be renewing. 

Unfortunately, I have already tried to set the SATA mode parameter to AHCI in BIOS setup but then Windows doesnt load up (turning it off doesn't work either).

Windows is currently installed in UEFI Mode.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok, step-by-step safe method,

1. Use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (download from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10) to recreate your installation media.
  2. Power off PC and remove/disconnect all drives except boot drive.
  3. Ensure BIOS is configured for AHCI and UEFI Boot Only (i.e., to be sure, disable support for CSM and Legacy Boot).
  4. Boot from new installation media without internet access.
  5. When asked what drive/partition to install Windows 10 to, delete *all* partitions on boot drive.
  6. Select unused space entry for drive and continue with installation.
  7. Once Windows completes install and have rebooted successfully at least once, install the base driver set (i.e., do not trust Windows 10 installer, PC vendor's installation support tool or even Intel's Driver & Support Assistant to do this). This includes Chipset Device Software (a.k.a. INF Update), Intel Management Engine (ME) drivers, Audio drivers, graphics drivers, wireless drivers and, if supported by hardware, Thunderbolt drivers and USB-C power delivery drivers.
  8. Reboot with Internet access connected.
  9. Use Vendor's driver installation facility (or Intel's Driver and Support Assistant) to update all other drivers.
  10. Use Windows Update to install all other updates available.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Fahimul7
Beginner
0 Kudos