Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2046 Discussions

super slow raid 5 write speed with 670P under raid 5

enm0012
Beginner

I have a Gigabyte Aurous Pro ver. 1 MB with 11900K processor and three M.2 drives (each Intel 670p), all connected directly to the CPU and set up under Raid 5.  Although performance has been great on read (5,000 mb/sec), the write speed spotty and usually terrible. When I clear the cache using the Intel utility, it initially has a write speed of 3500, but then on successive writes drops to 2000, then to 200 and then to 50, with most of the time being less than 200. I have tried to use Trim, but the option is shaded out. when checking the cmd. exe it gives me back 0, meaning enabled. It seems the cache cannot keep itself clear.

I get the same results either checking disk speed using PassMark or CrystalDiskMark.

What do I need to do to get consistent write speeds? 

The raid was initially set up using the Gigabyte driver. I replaced it with latest Intel Raid driver. 

Suggestions?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello enm0012, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Are you able to provide your Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) version?

2. Have you tried with a different SSD?

3. Is the issue is recent? If so, when did it started?

4. Is the "Intel® SSD 670p Series (1.0TB, M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0 x4, 3D4, QLC)" the model of tour SSD?

Regards,    

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello enm0012, 

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello enm0012, 

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
enm0012
Beginner

1. Are you able to provide your Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) version? 5.2.0.1006

2. Have you tried with a different SSD?  I have a fourth 670P located on the 4th (non CPU) slot. I could swap it if you think that would help. I have run the Intel memory and storage utility on all 3 M.2s in the raid array and all check out fine. But they not give me a read result because they could not find  separate partition.

See guide below.

Intel provides three different drivers that can be used for NVMe SSDs:

IT will not let use option 3 because it says I have a more recent driver,

I tried option 2 , WHICH GAVE ME VERSION 5.2.0.1006

I ran the write test and got results on successive tries of  1010, 855, 376, 1369, 1934, and 385.

If I go use the storage and memory took to clear the cache, it gives me 3500 speed but rapidly drops off back into samepattern

3. Is the issue is recent? If so, when did it started?

It never was quite right. I had the M.2s and Raid installed by a local computer shop. hey seem clueless on  help. It was originally installed with the MB BIOS that came with the board. The raid driver was out of date, so I replaced it with the raid driver, which helped, getting very good read and write speeds, but there was still some erratic results. I had the folks who did the work, upgrade the MB BIOS to the most  recent Gigabyte version. Performance was not as great, so I loaded the latest Intel Site raid drivers. Performance got worse. I uninstalled and reinstalled Raid drivers. No improvement. 

4. Is the "Intel® SSD 670p Series (1.0TB, M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0 x4, 3D4, QLC)" the model of tour SSD?

Yes! The Memory and Storage utility finds it just fine.

0 Kudos